The bike you need vs the bike you want.

I started buying the old bikes because I could get something that was top of the line in my younger years for a small fraction of the price of a new bike. The nostalgia factors in as well but this allows me to keep riding without worrying about cost. My 2000 Team Marin is my go-to bike. I enjoy the rest of my collection too. I just like having them. I have thought about getting a 29er but if I do I'll get one that is second hand but high quality and build it myself just like my other bikes. I would love a Ritchey P-29er or a modern Yo Eddy. Just not today with a down economy and gas prices through the roof.

I hear you there! Am seriously thinking of selling my Voodoo Sobo I built twenty odd years ago as I can neither do it justice nor ride arse up head down anymore! Its a bit hardcore now for me, 17" frame hardtail with rigid forks, built for speed.

Thats exactly my point. You obviously love the bike or you would not have hung onto it for 2 decades! But, whilst im all in for having a bike for its looks, nostalgia, potential.....delete as required......if its actually hindering your riding, its time to move on.

Yes, you can use that one for the odd 20 min ride, but habitually building unsuitable bikes is more the issue here.......impeding your riding and by virtue actually diminishing your future capacity to ride!

Maybe its time to move on! Im not saying stop riding, nor am i saying abandon retrobikes, but surely limiting your riding due to your bike being unsuitable is just not the way to go.....however lovely that Norba geometry is!

Having a lot of thoughts about this exact topic with my own vintage bikes at the moment.

As a younger man, my preference was for slightly smaller frames. I maxed out around 19". So as an old(er) man, my vintage buying has thus far followed the same path.

I mean, even when I decided to look for larger bikes, some amazing smaller ones sort of fell into my lap.

These days, as much as I like how smaller bikes ride on the trails, for longer, cruisier rides, I'm left feeling a little like I've stolen a kids bike, and my back feels much the same way! I think I've even tricked my brain into thinking I now prefer how larger frames look, despite having spent my entire life thus far thinking the exact opposite!

Self-preservation through adapted preference, I guess.

Anyway, I now have a 3-part plan underway to alleviate some of this:

1. A larger, 20" bike is incoming. I plan to set this up in a pretty comfortable, laid-back style. I may even ignore period correctness to do so!

Sidenote: I see the retromod movement as a good antitdote to this issue: buy a larger sized frame, crank up the spacers and find a steep rise stem; get some wide Nitto riser bars, or something with some backsweep, a modern layback post, wider tires, maybe a modern 1x drivetrain, Etc. I used to turn my nose up at these sort of bikes a little, but the more I ride with people running similar builds, the more I see the appeal. You're getting good performance, for less money; but still utilizing the best of old geometry and frame/fork building, while not totally destroying your back in the process. See also: the drop bar thread.

2. I plan to list a good portion of my current stable as open for trade, depending on how I get on with this 20" bike. If I prefer that riding style, for a lot of the current bikes I have I'd be happy to look for someone with the opposite problem: a frame that's too big for them. It might take a while; it might take forever, but if someone has an exact or comparable bike they'd be willing to downsize in order for me to upsize, I plan to take advantage of that.

3. I'm buying and building up a modern/retro mash-up cross bike.

I want something comfortable, practical and easily maintained for longer on/off road riding.

I'd like to try Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross, if I can find a secondhand one. Or something older from the likes or Curtlo, Steelman or Landshark.

I think about this cross build in my head almost every day.

@Tootyred I agree with a lot of what @mk one said. For me, the vintage bikes are well suited to my local riding conditions, they have character, they're fun, and it's the whole package that I like: the connection with the bike and with the great outdoors. But unlike many others, I was not interested in mountain bikes in the 1980s or 90s. I passed by those magazines, catalogues, and bike shop windows with utter disinterest, so I was never sold the mountain bike spin of the time. The upshot is that I find no conflict between the bike I need and the bike I want: I've chosen or built bikes that I am comfortable on and I have no desire to be uncomfortable. Neither do I think that the choice is between speed and comfort. I'm not quicker when I'm uncomfortable. In fact, I suspect that the very idea that there is this dilemma is a product of the marketing of the time.

Now, this might sound cynical but, blinking heck, that marketing of the 1980s and 1990s really did do a number on a whole generation of mountain bikers. Often it seems like rational adults, who will be reasonably sceptical about today's bike marketing, really bought in to what those early marketing departments sold. After all, roughly three decades later, there are people on here still chasing those teenage dreams. Why? If arse-up-head-down was really so much faster, today's mountain bikes would have taken that idea further. But they haven't. The same with weight. There's an element of truth but a good dollop of marketing bullshit stirred in.

And branding! Oh my! The marketing bods succeeded there, didn't they? They created a culture seemingly obsessed with brands. The 80s and 90s saw the rapid growth of branding as a way to differentiate between functionally near-identical products. Benetton are sometimes credited with being pioneers on this front but trying to associate a company name with an ethos, a lifestyle, a spirit, spanned the commercial spectrum. Consumers didn't just buy a cola, a pair of trainers or, indeed, a bike; they bought into a brand and what it was supposed to represent, which was more than just the product being sold—it had to be more than just the product. It was not, and is not, so very different from primitive peoples identifying with their totems. But it's a modern version. So, those bikes you dreamt of as a teenager, those special models, those special brands: are they really worth pursuing now or were you young, enthusiastic and somewhat manipulated by sophisticated marketing ploys; ploys which manufacturers, advertisers, shops and magazines all reinforced, because it was in their interests to do so—not yours? Perhaps the aching back, neck, or whatever the ailment, is just the catalyst that will finally dispel the illusions that were cultivated so many years ago. A long-held illusion might be the hardest to give up, but perhaps now is the time to do just that.

Its nothing to do with marketing........i started on mountain bikes in 1984 having ridden trackies previously. The bikes i bought saracen etc, were a massive leap from my trackie....no more buckled wheels, no more searching for downtube gears, etc etc.

But in 1990 having had several bikes, the world of kona and marin (only pick those as they had good local dealers) changed things. Nothing to do with marketing.....i rode one....wow....lighter, faster, much more responsive.....game changer.

Its not just a perception either....ive still got a couple of premium mid 80s bikes.....they are still bricks to ride in comparison to a mid range kona.

Problem wasn't the geometry then.....its my geometry now!

As for modern 29ers etc....im not taking this thread down this road, but its apples and oranges. Not designed for the same thing.....i own one,.....slow, cumbersome and used as a winter hack.....but serves a purpose.

Im sure if your crashing cliffs in utar or downhill riding they are fine....but i do hours of technical ish cross country where there benefits are more flaws imho. But i can also see the heads up, slack head angle being ideal for countyside bimbling about.....maybe in my 80s ........

Last edited:
Although, mr Ace, your completly right ...they did do a superb job of marketing....that got every teenager off a road bike and onto an mtb!

Last edited:
We never needed all of the tech, all the tubing, all the rubber. What we had in the first place was far superior, and if it broke on the trail, no bother - there were trees aplenty and we had time infinitum. You just built a new one.

I present the only bike you'd ever need.

1650471796248.png

I don't do period correct restorations on my bikes so I'm quite happy to shorten the stem, add spacers and mount riser bars on bikes that otherwise came set up for long and low. I've also done some drop bar conversions with very short stems so my back seems to be doing ok. Now my road "race" bike on the other hand is still pretty aggressive.

Back