1989 (i think) Muddy Fox Seeker! the prodigal bike returns!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so years ago, i think 1990 i bought my first real mountain bike, a used Muddy Fox Seeker from a dodgy old bastard called Keith who ran the local lawn mower and cycle repair shop, he was awful but that's a long boring story.

after getting the bike i knew it needed a bit of work, cables, BB rebuild etc, Muddy Fox at that time i think was the bike to have, Orange wasn't even really known to me at that point, maybe not even Kona, the Muddy Fox bikes had a cool image at the time, i remembered seeking one kid at school with a Muddy Fox, it was white with a flouro pink BB, no other bikes looked like it and i wanted one, having checked, that bike was a 1988 Road Runner.

anyway, over a period of a year i upgraded the Suntour XCE to a mix of Deore DX, and for some reason i had it painted white, (something i would consider wrong for this bike now) not long after i had done that the bike was stolen from Southampton Tech College, it had 4 locks on it, the bastards. i didn't even know how to get home, i pretty much had never caught a bus at that point, i didn't know where the bus stops were, i didn't know how much it would cost, and frankly i think i was in shock, it was the first shitty thing that have ever happened to me to be honest, i think it took the naivity away from me, "why would someone take it? it's not theirs" blissfully ignornt of how crap people can be.

it always bothered me, about 15 years ago i found retro bike, by that point Muddy Fox bikes had become the crap that we know today, the stuff i was interested in was Orange's, Kona's etc but that Muddy Fox being nicked and someone posting a thread about their Muddy Fox Seeker made me think about looking for one.

i found a Courier Comp for sale not long later, bought it for £40, i was a wreck, i picked it up from Bristol on the way to a ride in Wales, i decided to drop in to Argos Cycles to ask about a repaint, i sent it up a week later for a repaint, i initially built it with Suntour XC Pro/Comp mix but later went 24 speed Deore LX on it, i still have it, rarely ride it but that bike was supposed to cathartic for the loss of the Seeker, it kind of was.

cut to about 4 days ago, someone on here posted about a Kona Low rider on facebook market place, i was thinking i'd have it for the shop as a talking piece if it wasn't too much, i found it but it was too far away for collection, but right next to it was a Seeker! so thanks to who ever posted about that Low Rider! i contacted the owner to confirm the size, it was a 19" which was perfect, we agreed a price, £125 and yesterday i collected it from him near Poole, i told him why i wanted it, he told me he'd been given it from his father in law (i think) and had been usung it as a pub bike, i told him what i was gonna do with it and he said he was pleased it ws going to someone who was gonna look after and would let his father in law know, i told him i'd send pictures when it's done.

so what's wrong with it?

BB is rough, rear hub is loose, gears feel heavy due to sticky cables, brakes need pads and cables, spokes are rusty, tyres are dead, paint is in typical survivor condition.

what am i going to do with it?

i kind of want to go full restoration, frame wise i could just clean the hell out of it, but i think i'll have it refinished, original. i want to use as much of the original parts as possible, so i think i'll rebuild the hubs, re-spoke the wheels, i may put some nicer mavic rims i have on though, more to get a machined rim service to improve the brakes though, i intend to keep the gearset, worst case fit a new freewheel (yes freewheel not cassette) and chain, the rings i think will be ok, i also have a pair of panaracer dart/smokes i can fit.

the only other thing i have noticed that is a little weird is when i got there to collect it i noticed it had a rear U brake, something i didn't remember mine having, so digging in to the catalogues here i found the 1989 catalogue, sure enough the Seeker is in there, shown with cantilever brakes front and rear, so i checked the 1988 catalogue, alot of those bikes had rear U brakes, so i think i have a very early 1989 model, a half year kodel maybe? whatever, i don't mind either way.

anyway here's some pics so you can see where it started

:)

mfcomplete.jpg

mf12.jpg

mf13.jpg

mf11.jpg

mf10.jpg

mf9.jpg

mf3.1.jpg

mf4.jpg

mf6.jpg

Last edited:
Great find!

Love this in the first sentence 🤣:
a dodgy old bastard called Keith
Hope this brings back happy memories for you despite Keith and you having it nicked despite a world record amount of locks attached to it.

Pretty much original (apart from saddle & bar-ends?) + awesome colour + Suntour + U brake = UBER COOL! :cool: 😍

@27motorhead yeah i'm so glad i got one.

the Keith story, when i turned up to get that bike i paid him the money and he pointed out all the things wrong with it, i think he wanted to then charge me to sort the problems as he was selling it on behalf of someone else, i kept saying "yeah that's no problem i can do that" etc.

as a result he offered me a saturday job. i think i was still 16, maybe 15, can't remember, anyway he was open on saturday mornings, so it was £5 pay for the morning, he seemed happy with what i was doing and as it was half term the next week he asked if i wanted to work a few days the following week, i said yes, at the end of the week i was expecting to be paid for the 5 and half days i had worked, so bearing in mind saturday morning was £5, the 5 full days should be £10 a day plus saturday half day so i was expecting £55, he gave me £25, i said " but i worked 5 days, each day is double the time of saturday so it should be £55", he flatly refused to pay me anymore, it was the first time i swore at a "grown up".

i left thinking "well he's a C***!"

i later learned more about him once i was in the trade, turns out he was known for stitching people up, lying and generally being a horrible person, so my instincs were right!

...pulls up a chair! :)
Is that for part 2 of "Keith the C***!" or the Seeker united build? 😜🤣

@jonnyboy666 thanks for the insight Keith. Appropriate use of the C word for sure! At least meeting him meant you got your first proper mountain bike and it's these memories (both good and bad) keep us smiling as we slowly get older. Looking forward to seeing this getting tidied up and ridden. 💪:cool:

That's great that you've found a Seeker in such good condition.
Always wanted a Muddy Fox of that era - they were THE cool bike BITD.

+1 on the coolness of Muddy fox as a youngster. Pretty much sub zero with their logo'd wheel discs that were nothing short of lethal in a crosswind.

Will watch with interest - that paint is a lovely colour.

I'm trying to find my unicorn bike - the first MTB I bought with my own money in about '93, to go in the collection with the first MTB that my parents bought me in (about) '89/'90. It's been a long and fruitless search, but it continues.

@My_Teenage_Self i don't think so, he had that dodgy lawn mower repair shop at the bottom of South street in hythe

i'm hopefully gonna strip this at the weekend,i'll decide if i want a repaint at that point, i think i will as there is a big scratch on the top tube and i kind of want this one mint as possible

Back