The bike you need vs the bike you want.

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Teenagers,.........I blame teenagers.

I find it fascinating that the stuff you drooled over, grimy face pressed against the bike shop glass, money burning a hole in your trouser pockets, eyes glued to mbuk, whilst simultaneously learning every page of the freewheel catalogue by rote as though its a sacred text, stays with you.

But then your brain chemistry is all over the place and stuff that "gets in" then apparently stays in......for good!

So, skip forward hummmmmphgh years and im still hankering after those bikes....its what i build, its what i ride.....basically.

It brings back good feelings, memories of past glory and the " good times" with mates....escapades, jumpers for goal post etc etc.

But the big question ive started asking myself lately is ..

"Is it the bike i need to be riding and is this almost obsessive tie effecting my enjoyment of riding in other ways?"

To explain......No doubt, like many of you my riding ability and style have altered, but my desire hasn't. This year that finally became a problem.....my back would just no longer let me ride a 19" frame.....and i finally let go of my race geometry, head down, arse up dreams of being a world class mtb racer.....along with my constant practice just incase i got onto "top of the pops".

If your reading this thinking....."my bikes fine"....your either in denial or not at a point where the problems raised its head yet......but if your lucky enough to live that long it will!

So the question is

"How many of us are a actually riding the bikes we want, rather than the bikes we need.....to a point of negativity effecting our riding capability, duration and enjoyment?"

Or is it ok to essentially trade one joy for another?

Last edited:
I choose to ride the bikes i do because they are quality, quality not found in bikes these days, they are the most suitable and fun for the riding and terrain i encounter and though pressured into feeling left behind by the rest of the cycling world i still genuinely feel they are the best choice.

I am mid 50's, broken and beat up, held together by metal plates, for sure there are more comfortable bikes to sit on, my DH bikes are the most relaxing position one can have on a bike, the suspension is sooo plush too, but around the woods on fast flowy singletrack the rigid steel race bikes of the golden era are way more fun, lighter, faster, more nimble and with feeling akin to a soul they just outshine anything else. Maybe a newer bike would be faster, maybe more comfortable, but i would loose the connection with the bike and the trail, for me it is the whole experience and not just individual components of it, and as i said, my steel race bikes give me that.

Obviously one day i will not be able to swing my leg over the top tube, though most of mine are already sloping, and then i may consider an e-bike or the like, then i will be at the stage you mentioned, of trading joy for practicality.

I have at least ten bikes in the fleet in various configurations and sizes. At least one of them has got to be the one I need. Right? No need to obsessively search for another? Let me know. I'll be browsing the classifieds.

I ride most the retrobikes I lusted after and got in some form or another, be it trails, the peaks or just to the burger van other side of the woods......

I do however love the capabilities of modern bikes, my recent,y cracked nukeproof meant I no longer had a full bounce, it’s ok I thought , the pace hardtail rides owt. My back, joints and jumping it don’t agree with my 15 year old brain though haha

The end result is I’ve sorted a custom full suspension steel 29er to complement the pace hardtail and e en bagged a fat bike cheapish to just have fun on. I still love the older bikes but I need to plan what and who and we’re I’m riding it for damage limitation on the bike and myself.

As we’ve got older and paper round money got a tad better the bike I need is also the bike i want. Kinda ying yang and zen........ if it makes you smile, works and allows you to be at one, so be it

The bike I want -
Expensive full on 29er all mountain Ebike
The bike I need -
Reasonably priced ebike to do the shopping on, and general commuting duties.
The bike I bought -
Expensive full on 29er all mountain Ebike to do the shopping on and general commuting duties.

I believe I have made a compromise.

I ride bikes that sits somewhere between what I want and what I need. be it road bike, MTB or something in between. there are 3 that remain in the stable at all times.

I build the bikes I want. I usually get board of them after a while and build them in to something else. these are on rotation, this month it's a stupid big downhill like bike from the early 00's, next month it might be a trials bike or a jump bike, or a timetrail machine or........

I hear you there! Am seriously thinking of selling my Voodoo Sobo I built twenty odd years ago as I can neither do it justice nor ride arse up head down anymore! Its a bit hardcore now for me, 17" frame hardtail with rigid forks, built for speed.

Have now moved on to my old Grandads machine. Single speed 1930s track bike....

Marins were my thing, finally ended up with a Bear Valley SE. It was light, quick, all the right parts. Loved it. Then my back started to ache in the last few years. No problem, I'll change to a shorter stem with a rise in it. It looked awful and didn't make much difference.
The thing is I'm about to hit my 6th decade and not in the best of health these days. Reality hit and reluctantly I sold the Marin and ended up buying a cheap Raleigh Pioneer grandad bike. In an attempt to make it better I've been raiding my parts stash and upgraded the brakes and gears so it's probably the bike I need now.

I suppose im very luck as a great number of the bikes i love are from the mid 80s....pre race stance, heavy steel, british bikes!

But having had the lightweights......riding at speed always feels like an up hill strugle on the oldies.....quite literally.

I've started thinking about 29ers.......but not as we know it......that could be a great fix.

Back