Depression is just plain nasty

Alison":2ld03w6d said:
kermitgreenkona88":2ld03w6d said:
Alison":2ld03w6d said:
I imagine PTSD is terrible, I could not cope with reliving traumatic experiences. I would love to get back into riding but I've let myself go :( badly :facepalm:

There are quite a few it seams on here in difficulties. I hope bikes help all on here. I'm pleased to say I've just finished my daughter's Orange C16R after a year and it looks awesome

Alison

Baby steps Alison, just start with very short rides until it becomes fun again. I am just beginning the process again myself.......

I am a fine one to talk though, as I have just spent the last hour :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Enough struggling with the D word, lost my Mum to cancer in early February. I have been her primary carer for the last 10 years (since we lost Dad to cancer too)..... I miss them both so much.....

Thanks :) Sorry you lost your parents. Never had a dad but wonder how I'd cope with the loss of my mum. My daughter asked me to do something about myself as she didn't want to loose me, nice to know you mean so much to your children :)

Alison

Thank you :) You are a very lucky lady to have such a loving daughter, should help to keep you motivated :) No need to be a pro racer, just a happy cyclist :D :D

Re:

If it wasn't for bikes I might not be here now. I was diagnosed with an illness which forced me to give up everything I loved and then a traumatic experience was the final blow which kicked off my D word. About 6 years ago it all got too much and the thoughts began.

I started playing with and fixing bikes because I was too ill to ride them, they gave me something to focus on, giving me a challenge and at first it was just a distraction but it grew into a passion, something to look forward to. Eventually I began to ride again. Started off at a mile, learning to deal with the pain from my illness and eventually getting up to 11 miles after a couple of years. They gave me determination not to give up and now I'm going for my dream, to complete a 24 hour mountain bike race (and raise money for a local mental health charity to try and help others who've experienced the same as me).

I'd be lying if I said I don't suffer any more because I do. I still have days where it seems there's no point and I constantly feel like I'm not good enough but then I look to that 24hr challenge and it gives me hope and the reason to carry on.

Re: Re:

MarinMartin":25kb0s8k said:
If it wasn't for bikes I might not be here now. I was diagnosed with an illness which forced me to give up everything I loved and then a traumatic experience was the final blow which kicked off my D word. About 6 years ago it all got too much and the thoughts began.

I started playing with and fixing bikes because I was too ill to ride them, they gave me something to focus on, giving me a challenge and at first it was just a distraction but it grew into a passion, something to look forward to. Eventually I began to ride again. Started off at a mile, learning to deal with the pain from my illness and eventually getting up to 11 miles after a couple of years. They gave me determination not to give up and now I'm going for my dream, to complete a 24 hour mountain bike race (and raise money for a local mental health charity to try and help others who've experienced the same as me).

I'd be lying if I said I don't suffer any more because I do. I still have days where it seems there's no point and I constantly feel like I'm not good enough but then I look to that 24hr challenge and it gives me hope and the reason to carry on.

I am full of admiration for what you have achieved and what you hope to achieve :) go for it and let us know how the 24th race goes.

Smile. It could be worse :D

Quite handy for us all that cycling is a good thing for helping the mind overcome depression. :cool: bikes once again :cool:

Two months on and its like some sort of badly defined blur. I couldnt even begin to describe what was happening.

Glad you are all talking about yourselves though, better than me as I'm still reluctant to discuss anything further. I'll go cycling instead.

legrandefromage":2hjt0e8v said:
Two months on and its like some sort of badly defined blur. I couldnt even begin to describe what was happening.

Glad you are all talking about yourselves though, better than me as I'm still reluctant to discuss anything further. I'll go cycling instead.
You just did so that’s a step in the right direction. Xxx

And then quite a few more. Into my shed! :LOL:

Attachments

• F725A580-99E7-4D87-BD48-A198FA22AAAB.jpeg
    F725A580-99E7-4D87-BD48-A198FA22AAAB.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 530
That looks like little THM to me ..... is he about to beat something up

Last time he had ownership of one of your unique beasts he snapped the arse end off

It's a guess but not a good one. He has a three letter abbreviation such as I.

Another Retrobiker leaves with much more than he arrived with......... :LOL:

Or expected to :mrgreen:

He looked away but said you'd spot him by his moobs.

Re:

Just read this thread and glad to see the understanding shown by members of this forum. I too have depression, not serious but I have been moderately bipolar most of my life. Finally seen my GP and started taking mild antidepressants, its weird to feel happy and content most of the time, I like it.
Keep positive guys by whatever means works for you.

Back