1989 Muddy Fox Pathfinder

The most important part is that the frame, fork and paint are immaculate. If I have to effectively rebuild this entire thing with completely new parts otherwise, it’ll still be dope

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 3
Using wiring harness tape to fix the cracks in the wheel discs

Wiring harness tape is very sticky, as it’s meant to adhere to dirty car wiring, and very flexible, far more flexible than electrical tape. It’s more like hockey tape but a finer weave and stickier.
So it keeps great contact around the curves of this. The fiberglass tape I have wasn’t flexible enough. I think just long straight cracks it would be the best choice, but for these stress spots around the valve hole, I needed something more flexible

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 3
Well that was a waste of 25$
This was definitely taken apart and put together by someone who doesn’t know how to do either of those things. With the top jockey wheel being cracked, the tensioner assembly being on but set to the right with little to no spring tension
IMG_2611.jpeg

But then I actually get to installing it and setting it up and ran into a problem immediately, tell me if you can guess what it is
IMG_2610.jpeg

Yeah you guessed it, where’s the low limit stop?

Guess I’m running modern Shimano Altus on a bike from 1989, screw it

Don’t get me wrong, Altus is one of the least offensive designs I think you could put on a really old bike, it looks fine, it isn’t racey, it isn’t super edgy like adventX or anything, but it’s definitely not appropriate for the era
IMG_2612.jpeg

We’re gonna see if I can build a derailleur
IMG_2613.jpeg

Last edited:
Back