1993 653 Condor ID (rebadged as a 'Reflex') - Squadra?

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
Here's another recent FB Marketplace poorly listed special. This was listed as a 'Lightweight Racer Bike' for £25. All I could really make out was the purple '6' of a 653 decal on the seat-tube. The poor thing was slowly rusting away in someone's garden so obviously I had to save it. It turned out to be a Condor – luckily Condors are pretty easy to spot due to the abundance of stamped areas on the frame.

This how I found it:

Condor-Squadra.JPG

The oddest thing is that it's been rebranded with the 'Reflex' name on the down and head tube in a nasty 90s/00s font. Googling cannot come up with any answer for this, so it remains a mystery. Presumably some long-gone bike shop? Condor do have a patchy archive of old catalogues online – the closest I could find was the 1996 catalogue which has a model using 653 which looks very similar – the Squadra:

1996-squadra.png

The Campagnolo Chorus spec is the same as this one, as is the frame, from what I can see – so I would guess mine is a Squadra but I'm not certain. Sadly mine has the version of Chorus with painted components (who thought that was a good idea?), so they have seen better days, with the paint badly bubbling. The shifters were also not working at all with one totally broken. I've stripped it now, except the stem is stuck so I need to sort that out before any actual build happens, but then this is long way down in the potential queue anyway.

I was surprised there are very few Condors on here, but if anyone can confirm this is a Squadra, that would be a bonus – or indeed if anyone can shed any light on the 'Reflex' name, though that seems a very long shot.

It's sad that a bike this nice has ended up in the state it did. Some day it will be resurrected, if only because I've never ridden a 653 frame and I'm curious. It would also be nice to have a full Campy build, but it'll just have to wait a while. Possibly when I retire... :LOL:

I have a mid 90's Condor built by Dave Yates, good chance this is also built by him. Presume he is on here but def over on LFGSS as he replied in person and confirmed mine was built by him, well worth trying to contact him.
This is a fantastic find especially for £25, deserve some love a proper decals, my understanding is the Condors branded lugs and stamped chain stay eyes were only used on higher spec / optional extras, so its very nice imo.

Thanks for the info. The frame is in quite a state, so it will be a full strip back to the metal and a respray - at some point. I'd really like to do it next year, but I don't have the room, sadly. But it will be done eventually. Having said that, I've already bought some new ergopower shifters for this!

Exciting, do you think the paint original is original? Is it worth saving if it is or to far gone and could the horrible reflex decals be removed with damaging the paint?

Yes, the paint is original, but unfortunately it's too far gone with rust, especially around the head tube and fork crown, so it will be a respray. I'm usually an advocate of keeping the original paint, and I don't mind some patina, but this has definitely gone from patina to full-on rust.

The current plan is to take it for a full professional respray, funded by selling my Technics 1200 turntable which I never use and should pretty much cover the whole cost. I'm currently thinking of a dark blue metallic with the stamped parts picked out in white - this is a colour that Condor did at the time and I much prefer that to the original silver anyway.

First of all the frame has a date with a vice as I attempt to remove the stem. I'll be doing a build thread for this some time next year, I think. Well, hopefully, anyway...

Last edited:
Yes, the paint is original, but unfortunately it's too far gone with rust, especially around the head tube and fork crown, so it will be a respray. I'm usually an advocate of keeping the original paint, and I don't mind some patina, but this has definitely gone from patina to full-on rust.

The current plan is to take it for a full professional respray, funded by selling my Technics 1200 turntable which I never use and should pretty much cover the whole cost. I'm currently thinking of a dark blue metallic with the stamped parts picked out in white - this is a colour that Condor did at the time and I much prefer that to the original silver anyway.

First of all the frame has a date with a vice as I attempt to remove the stem. I'll be doing a build thread for this some time next year, I think. Well, hopefully, anyway...

Sounds lovely I seem to remember a page of RAL numbers in one of the online vintage condor brochures on their website.

Why are there never any £25 deals near me? or nearly new Canyon's that i can have for €7?

Well, once I've spent about £300 on the paint job, it'll not be quite as cheap as chips! All in it'll probably come in a bit under £500 (new shifters, decals, pedals, bar tape, etc). Still cheap compared to a brand new Condor, of course...which is my excuse for doing it in the first place :LOL:

Back