1998 Kona Explosif work in progress

moonlite

Kona Fan
I've never done a thread on this bike although it has featured elsewhere here, but was fiddling about with it today and thought it might be nice to document it a bit better.

This one goes back to early days of Covid when, like a million others, I decided it was a good time to start on a project. I wanted an Explosif as I had happy memories of a 2002 model I'd had back in the UK which had been stolen. It soon became clear that this was a tall order -- they are quite scarce here in Aus and finding a rideable size would add to the degree of difficulty.

However, after months of lurking on Ebay, Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace, this appeared:

mine original.png

At 19" it was doable with the supplied setback seatpost (more on that later) but it was clearly quite rough, had been updated with SLX parts and a rather odd seat. I liked the original colour-matching (nearly) Marzocchi Atom Bomb 2s too. So I jumped.

It had been used as a commuter and rode really nicely. I changed the seat and tyres immediately, adding a Selle Italia SLR and some Maxxis Ignitors I had to hand. I put some wider bars on (no-name Chinese carbon) and a silver Thomson stem.

Selle Italia SLR.jpg

Then I changed the SLX crankset for an XTR M960 job with Blackspire rings. The modern stuff was fine, but I had vague notions (inspired by these forums) to be a bit more period-correct -- although it's still more modern than the bike.

Wheels were now some LX models, with the front radially spoked. I also put some Michelin Country Rocks, given that most of the trails around here were bone dry and dusty. I quite like them although they run a bit contrary to the current trend toward fatter rubber. The bottle cage is also non-brand Chinese, but I liked its robust design and the colour-match.

with XTR.jpeg

At some point after this, I replaced the wheels with 'period' Mavic Crossrides with those distinctive yellow hubs, although I found out later that the front wheel that came with the bike was the original, with its 'Java the Hub' hub, and wondered if it would be better to keep that. As we're pretty far from authentic spec now, I'm not sure that matters anymore.

I also added a nice Easton EA70 stem at some point, which was a better colour match to the seatpost.

And that's the way it stayed for a year or so, with occasional rides reiterating that it's a nice, responsive frame. But last week, on a short blast around local fire roads, I tried to lift the front end over a pothole and was greeted by an ugly bang as the forks topped out. They were set pretty stiff so hadn't ever bottomed out, but this was a very unhealthy sound and it dawned that they may well never have been serviced -- I had no way of knowing.

So today I sorted through the fork pile and found a nice set of Marzocchi Marathon Races which, while more modern than the rest of the bike, had the required V-brake posts and felt nice and light. These went on -- but required another stem change as the steerer tube was just a bit short for the Easton. I had an FSA 105mm with a lowish stack which fitted well although it's a bit plainer than what was there before.

So there we have it. I'll find out where to get the Atom Bombs serviced here in Aus, but for now it's in good shape for riding.

IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg
IMG_2035.jpg

One persistent question mark is that Thomson layback seatpost. While it's perfect for getting a good position on the slightly too-small frame, I've worked out through googling that Thomson never made a 27.0mm layback version -- it's pretty firmly in there, so I'm guessing it's a 27.2mm that's been jammed in. I hope not, but while there's no reason to try to extract it, it's going to have to stay.

Last edited:
It looks really good 👍 gotta say I dig the fork that's on there, the white contrasts nicely. Makes the frame stand out more. The atom's sort of take away from the frame IMHO. But should look great either way.

It looks really good 👍 gotta say I dig the fork that's on there, the white contrasts nicely. Makes the frame stand out more. The atom's sort of take away from the frame IMHO. But should look great either way.
Glad you like it! I'll try to get a ride in tomorrow to see how well it works -- or not. As for the Atoms, I'm in two minds -- they're the originals, but then the originality train has long left the station, with rideability being the deciding factor, so I'm not sure they'll ever make it back onto this bike.

Glad you like it! I'll try to get a ride in tomorrow to see how well it works -- or not.
Did you get to take it for a spin?
As for the Atoms, I'm in two minds -- they're the originals, but then the originality train has long left the station, with rideability being the deciding factor, so I'm not sure they'll ever make it back onto this bike.
I am probably not the best candidate to speak about that as period correctness or original parts mean nothing to me, I'd just go for whichever fork feels the best - as you say - rideability is key. And those are nice riding frames.

Did you get to take it for a spin?

I am probably not the best candidate to speak about that as period correctness or original parts mean nothing to me, I'd just go for whichever fork feels the best - as you say - rideability is key. And those are nice riding frames.
No spin yet -- yesterday we had rain all day and I had to work anyway -- making a living is such an inconvenience!

On reflection I agree with you re rideability -- I don't want my bikes to be wallhangers so if there's an issue like there was with this one's original fork, putting a better, later one on is definitely the way to go if it means I can get out on it and enjoy it.

No spin yet -- yesterday we had rain all day and I had to work anyway -- making a living is such an inconvenience!
Had 2 days of sun here now pissing down. Is it getting autumnal there now? Yes, hitting the lottery jackpot is the answer.
On reflection I agree with you re rideability -- I don't want my bikes to be wallhangers so if there's an issue like there was with this one's original fork, putting a better, later one on is definitely the way to go if it means I can get out on it and enjoy it.
Definitely. Whatever makes the bike more enjoyable for the rider is the right build path, always. Nothing sadder than an unridden bike.

I don't know much about either of those forks, I'm squishy fork phobic. I've had too much shitty suspension that when I finally could afford better ones I was like naaah 😄

Hope you'll get out for a ride on it soon brother

Managed to grab an hour's ride this morning and was pleased overall with the new fork -- I think it felt a little lighter, and there was certainly no topping-out when lifting the front over obstacles. It was pretty squishy when climbing out of the saddle, though, which isn't a huge issue as I generally prefer to sit and grind on the uphills. It also deflected slightly back-and-forth when braking at speed which I don't think can be cured. Overall, though, an improvement over the knackered Atoms.

Next steps: the brakes need fettling, front and back, as they haven't been adjusted despite new wheels and tyres and feel a bit soft.

Back