Bought the cheapest M1 on the net - help with ID and specs?

Have been planning to do a rebuild on mine and am in the same boat with colours, couldn't choose between black or white, which has lead me down the rabbit hole of maybe trying to paint it myself in a crackle finish (with no previous painting experience) I mean what is the worst that can happen lol

Attachments

• crackle.PNG
    crackle.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Possibly my most hated paint finish ever, even more so than camo, but if it makes you happy that's what counts! One of the guys who raced years ago did this and I remember him saying mud got stuck in all the cracks and it was a nightmare to keep clean, so bear that in mind if you're planning to ride it much.

How about this OEM paint scheme from '00?

53632318212_db85326bfb_b.jpg

That looks good - I haven't seen repro decals like those before though. Mine has the flaming logo headtube badge too, which I love.

I reckon Filip would be able to do a good job on them based on him producing the Rotec decals for me from pictures. Yeah, I've not actually seen one of those HT badges in the flesh, only the flames and later FRO ones.

Will try it out on some aluminium sheet and see how it goes, was hoping with some sanding and a generous coat of lacquer it might turn out good. would love a proper custom paint job like some of the older team bikes but art wasn't my best subject.

also I may have some uprated shock bolts image_2024-04-06_002810258.png left at my dads if you still need them rentedmule

I don't think you should opt for a crackle finish, no.😟

I think you should go with an original replica as previously suggested.
If you ever do decide to sell it, you may find it is worth more that way.

I think I have the shock bolts sorted now, but I may get back to you on that. That picture is amazing! The bass boat themed metal flake job in the lower right is what I need!

Thought this may be interesting for you. I found it when looking for stuff on the other thread but didn't want to derail it:

53662828845_69c0b44141_b.jpg

Cool, thanks! I was initially a bit disappointed / confused about the lack of horizontal dropouts and shock mount options, but this explains it. I paid more than an order of magnitude less for my frame!

It's also cool that I just happened to have a set of Hope 4 piston brakes to match this spec (M4's, not DH4's, but close enough). I need to clearance a Hope adapter plate to get the rear mounted, but it's close.

I'm hoping mine will come in a bit under 42 lb with Tubolito tubes, XTR cranks, and a saddle smaller than a love seat.

Back