Need help identifying my Cannondale frame

mattblake2

Retro Newbie
Hi all, recently bought a nice Cannondale- what I thought was an M600.

Spoke to some of the guys on a couple of Facebook groups who went on to tell me all ‘93 / ‘94 M series are the the same frame except the Beast of the East. One guy was adamant that my frame is a Beast of the East as it’s exactly the same as one he had many moons ago. The others in the group were not so sure.

So…. I’m not sure now either.

I’ll attach some pics which include the serial number.. if any of you have the know how to decode it properly to give the correct designation that would be amazing.

Any and all comments welcome as I’d like to know as much I can so I don’t under (or over) sell it!

Cheers 🙏🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2801.jpeg
    IMG_2801.jpeg
    728.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    707 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2799.jpeg
    IMG_2799.jpeg
    681.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    699.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    681.3 KB · Views: 35
@mattblake2 If that frame is a BOTE M800 its an 18inch frame you have there. I have the same frame. What you need to do is go to page 45 and measure the dimensions given for the M800 in 1994, note though I have found some dimensions slightly out. If you need me to measure anything from my frame let me know.

There is also a serial number on the right hand rear chain stay, inside stay. I believe this gives the frame ID / Ref / Model (However I have never looked mine up)

Page 45 M800:

From the centre of my BB to top of Seat Tube is 16 inches, if yours is a M800 it is deff an 18 inch frame as mine is (I can tell as I have looked at enough of them), if your seat tube is longer that 16 inches from my measurements it could be a M600 Frame. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Twenty Eight.JPG
    Twenty Eight.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@mattblake2 If that frame is a BOTE M800 its an 18inch frame you have there. I have the same frame. What you need to do is go to page 45 and measure the dimensions given for the M800 in 1994, note though I have found some dimensions slightly out. If you need me to measure anything from my frame let me know.

There is also a serial number on the right hand rear chain stay, inside stay. I believe this gives the frame ID / Ref / Model (However I have never looked mine up)

Page 45 M800:

Great shout Stephan. I’ll get to it tomorrow morning 👍🏼👍🏼

Great shout Stephan. I’ll get to it tomorrow morning 👍🏼👍🏼
As above, I just added this: "From the centre of my BB to top of Seat Tube is 16 inches, if yours is a M800 it is deff an 18 inch frame as mine is (I can tell as I have looked at enough of them), if your seat tube is longer that 16 inches from my measurements it could be a M600 Frame. Hope this helps."

Ok your right hand lower rear stay number means nothing, its the same to appear on a lot of the M series back in that day. Possibly the build location or something to do with the Alloy batch etc. (I don't know)

The frame dimensions are really really close for the 18 inch BOTE M800 and the M600 16 inch and 18 inch frames on the Cannondale specification list, the only massive dimension that sets them apart is the BB height from the ground when two wheels and I suspect two 2.1 tyres are on. (Check the specifications on page 45)

Can you fire two wheels/tyres on and measure the BB height off the ground? You will know right away if its a BOTE M800, the ride height is massive compared to any other MTB of that era.

There is no way someone can tell from an image, unless they have digital calliper headsets on :rolleyes:

Attachments

• M800 Frame Size.png
    M800 Frame Size.png
    675.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
One more thing, those Pepperoni forks have a threaded head tube which would suggest it's a 1993 sold bike. In 1993 they did not do a M600 so the catalogs state. They did do an M700, M1000 and a M2000 in 1993 with threaded Pepperoni's.

I say two wheels on and two 2.1 tyres and measure the BB height from the ground is your best bet here, unless someone else on Retro can help.

Am swaying on a 18 inch 1993 M800 BOTE Frame & Fork Set you have. (Though I could Be Wrong, the M600, M700, M1000 etc in the 16 inch frames measure and look very similar. Get two wheels and tyres on and measure the BB height).

Your BB - EC = 1993 March - No other numbers tell me much.

(If your keeping that Frame & Fork Set and need to remove the cartridge BB, get someone with a proper JIG so the frame is upside down and the pressure is all on the triangle when trying to remove it, don't strip the cup interfaces with the wrong tools or method, those welds are old - get it in a proper JIG)

Last edited:
Great info, thanks so much Stephan!!

I think it’s a BOTE!!

So… how much is it worth??!! Half tempted to keep it now though 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpeg
    IMG_2861.jpeg
    974.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2876.jpeg
    IMG_2876.jpeg
    676.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2862.jpeg
    IMG_2862.jpeg
    823.4 KB · Views: 29
Great info, thanks so much Stephan!!

I think it’s a BOTE!!

So… how much is it worth??!! Half tempted to keep it now though 🤣
Am pretty sure that is a BOTE, price wise, as much as someone wants to pay for it!

How long you had it for?

Mind even though that seat post measures 16 inch its an 18 inch frame size. (Which rides approx a "medium" in size wise, not small)

Last edited:
Not long at all. I bought it as it came some black Syncros 26” wheels (plus the original mavic m400’s) and Coda canti’s which I wanted for a my m300 Franck Roman signature edition. Then I wanted to flog the rest and basically get the bits for free.

But… it now looks like I might have to keep it 😅. It really suits the Rock Comp’s / Tioga’s that I threw on it for the measurement earlier.

May build it up to use for a bit and keep the frame on marketplace or something just incase it goes.

Cheers for all your info though mate. Also, if you know anyone who wants one, point them in my direction 😄

Personally, I would keep it and do a full restoration on it. Its a rare Frame and Fork set and too be honest in those days you wont get much for it as it is, I would say there was more value in keeping it.

If you do put it up for sale let me know and post the for sale here please on this thread and the for sale section on Retro, I and lot of others here don't use Facebook Market etc.

Good luck with it. :)

Last edited:
Back