Help Identifying Vintage Bianchi Road Bike

Hi Keith,

Thanks for clarifying. There is definitely a small bump on the underside of the top tube behind the head lug. Very small, could be rust hidden under the paint? The bottom tube also has a tiny bump and there is play in the headset. Is this sort of thing repairable or should I be returning it to the seller?

Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    633.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1998.jpeg
    IMG_1998.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 6
The 1-20 transfer indicates Bianchi's house brand hi-tensile tubeset, so the cycle is likely to be a low-end model, frame weight probably 1.1lb (500g) heavier than Columbus SL. Lower-end Ofmega chainset. Looks like a Campagnolo 980 rear mech - this was a low-cost model that sat below Nuovo Gran Sport and was introduced in 1980. Components look early 80's apart from the ITM stem which looks like a later addition.

Serial number would suggest 1983.

Sam, The bike has had a bump and he head angle has gone up 2 or 3 degrees. Still perfectly rideable, but the frame geometry is not as original. If it feels OK to ride negotiate with the seller. Many on here will say its not rideable and dangerous, but it looks useable, although
I cannot say without seeing it.
Does depend on how the seller listed it.

Keith

I wouldn’t want to be riding that full pelt down a technically challenging hill where you need good handling skills… hitting medium bumps over time would also risk the frame giving way….
You’d need to remove the paint to see what’s going on properly but I’d certainly not be risking riding it not knowing the previous history & at the end of the day you want come home Safety to your family & loved one’s..

Back