Bought the cheapest M1 on the net - help with ID and specs?

rentedmule

Devout Dirtbag
I bought what is likely the cheapest Intense M1 frame on the planet and could use some help decoding the serial number. I did some hunting but the format of the number seems different than those described elsewhere. I'm 99% sure it's a medium and a late model but would like to confirm the year so I can spec the proper shock for it.

Seller advertised it as both and '02 and an '04, depending on where it was in the ad. Does the "01" in the serial number indicate an 2001 model year or is that the code for M1?

Does this model take the 9" x 3" or the 8.75" x 2.75" shock?

20230612_064819 by Rented Mule, on Flickr

20230612_065512 by Rented Mule, on Flickr

Pick of link mount - I think adjustment options differ on later frames, correct?
20230612_064802 by Rented Mule, on Flickr

What's the extra hole for on the 'seat tube' area of the frame above the lower link mount?
20230612_064753 by Rented Mule, on Flickr

I know it takes a 31.6 seat post - what size will the collar be? I can't find linkage bolt kits anywhere - does anyone still make them?

Plans are to media blast the remaining paint off, powder coat it (probably red), new decals, and start hunting for build parts. I've always wanted an M1 with an X-Vert carbon so finding the fork will be the next challenge.

Great frame, and a nice project.

Had a few M1's but never really paid much attention to the serial numbers so not much use to you there. The frame though is the 01/02 model, 03 changed design and was built to run the 5th Element shock. Not positive on shock length on this version but think it was the 8.75 x 2.75, memory is not what it was.

Shot of my 03 along side the earlier. You can see the difference in the frame design, the 03 has longer/bigger gussets around the shock mount and a smaller and different shaped gap in the frame itself. Your frame being the same model as the black one.

IMG_0007.JPG

Great info, thanks! The pictures have me pumped to get it built too, the bikes look awesome. I actually thought about running a Dorado but I had one on a VPfree I built a few years ago so have checked that off my bucket list!

That's an '00 or '01, i.e the first gen of FSR M1. The '02/'03 both included the 5th Element shock and revised shock mounting boomerang gusset per the pic of the red one above. ETA that the later frames also came with a significantly thicker head tube with less relief cut into the recess as the earlier ones had a nasty habit of ovalising. I stuck a CK Steelset in my '02 when I first built it up as a result of the reputation the earlier FSR frames had and regretted it as it was such a nightmare to get in, and of course wasn't ever coming out.

Last edited:
Info from another site.

There will be two letters followed by some numbers.
for example:
AM2563

A= Intense code for bike
M= medium
2= 2002
5= May
63 is the frame number

TF tuned make custom mount bolts so they might be able to make you some linkage bolts, or get in touch with a good local engineering company that might make some for you, I have a great local engineering company that’s done great work when I haven’t been able to get hold of spares, need something modding or fabricating

They're 1/4" imperial thread bolts with a 5mm Allen key fitting. They were difficult to track down even when the frames were new so most people just went for imperial hex bolts and dealt with the aesthetics. You could probably find some imperial button headed allen bolts but you'd need to use imperial allen keys for them.

I have some spare hardware from my gen 1 Tracer that looks like it will fit the pivot bolts - there are already a few mismatched ons in there that look terrible. I'll have to sort out the shock mounting hardware when I source a shock. Thanks for the info Cloverleaf, that's helpful. The lower shock mount hardware must be huge, the linkage is really wide there.

Back