Clockwork - Year + Colour ID - help

The traditional colours for the early bikes were black for the Prestige and orange/white for the Clockwork but both were available in either from memory although you don't see many pre 92 Clockwork's in black.

If my dating is correct I reckon it's a Clockwork as I think mid 89 is a touch early for the Prestige? Very hard to tell the difference on the early bikes without the tubing decal present unless you have another to weigh and compare. I'm happy to weigh my 21" yellow/white clockwork if you want but we'd need similar components on both?

you could try contacting orange with frame number and pic emailed possibly i hear they are very helpful ... also the cantilever brakes look like mountain lx from 89 which then became deore lx from 1990 onwards so the deore lx might have been added later or its a 1990 and they had left over mountain lx brakes from 89 and stuck them on a early 1990 or its a 1990 and owner stuck them on it for some reason - clockworks had tange mtb tubing and prestige had better tubing tange prestige (lighter stronger)

weights a good idea i would think a clockwork would weight around 28lbs and prestige around 26lbs even with different components lx dx xt
...incase its a clockwork resprayed by orange black at a later date - the weights should reveal this - hopefully someone with a prestige sees this thread and could provide a weight for theirs

weights a good idea i would think a clockwork would weight around 28lbs and prestige around 26lbs even with different components lx dx xt
...incase its a clockwork resprayed by orange black at a later date - the weights should reveal this - hopefully someone with a prestige sees this thread and could provide a weight for theirs
Weight is indeed a good idea......... however the bike is very much in its "raw" form atm ;)

unless someone has a bare frame to compare weights?

Pleased to say, no dents or cracks found during strip down 👍

Attachments

• IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 10
From memory the Prestige was either 1 or 1.5lb lighter than the Clockwork although the early frames were much heavier than the 92 on. I do need to get around to stripping mine down for a clean but not sure when I'll have time.

If you could get hold another Clockwork or Prestige and flick the tubes, that should sort it as the Prestige is much thinner tubed and makes more of a ping!

Latest posts

Back