1993 Kona Hahanna - seized stem/bits missing :D

Well, bit disappointing - I’ve been soaking this in a fairly strong acid solution and while it did clear the stem out:
IMG_3791.jpeg
It also wore the steel threads down too:
IMG_3790.jpeg
My fault, I should have ordered some caustic soda and used that, lesson learned.
So now the forks need new a steerer welding on (I’ve done that before) or I need to source a 1” fork.. hmmm..

And we’re back on track, I think I’m going to name this bike ‘project Franken-fork’..
IMG_3814.jpeg IMG_3815.jpeg
IMG_3816.jpeg
A random road bike fork donated the top of its steerer and I got it welded on and a coat of paint to protect from rust.
I’ve done this sort of repair before, each time improving the method, hopefully this’ll hold up ok. I got a nice neat bead of weld around it and purposefully didn’t grind it all the way flat afterwards, I figure the more material on there the better.
Now I can build it up this weekend. :)

Woke up early this morning so I thrashed this out, I was really eager to see if the fork repair had worked. It did, the forks went in and tightened down in the headset with no issues.
IMG_3817.jpeg IMG_3818.jpeg IMG_3819.jpeg
It helped that I’d sorted all the components ready for the rebuild and had them all laid out ready. I’ve been for a couple of mile ride and I’m really happy with it - even with lower end kit these old steel Kona’s are great fun.
IMG_3820.jpeg
*not necessarily my political sentiments, but couldn’t resist a pic with the green graffiti (matches the tyres :LOL: ).

Back