1993 Kona Lava Dome

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Things I need for this :

* Rubber bung for stem

Picked this 1993 Kona Lava Dome up last night. It's a nice, honest, one owner from new bike (and has apparently been up, and down, Hellvellyn in its time). A few bits have been upgraded/ changed over time

* rear mech is Deore XT
* cantilevers are Deore LX
* Gripshifts have replaced the thumbies.

Still got period smoke/Darts and the bontrager bcx rims.

Paint and decals are in pretty good nick, a few rusty spots but nothing serious. Stem and seat post move freely, so all good so far.

I'll give it a good clean up and figure out what to do with it. I've got a nice M732 XT groupset I could chuck on but I could go completely offpiste and stick a modern 11 speed set up on to.

But, first it will get a good clean. It looks like its been recabled recently and all the moving bits are definitely oiled and greased!

1000011677.jpg

Current: Tiny 1999 Rockhopper FS | 1995 Bontrager Race

Solid progress. Just need to do the gears, but will wait until I've got the correct 7 speed spacer for the hub .

She's had a full strip down, degrease, rust treated, worst of the paint loss touched in, tcut and wax and is now looking pretty decent.

The frame doesn't seem to have any damage beyond the scratches that a week used bike would pick up, the forks in particular still have a nice shine.

I've replaced most of the groupset with m732 xt , including thumbies and some xt m735 cantilevers to replace the later lx ones.

I've kept the sugino chainset and brake levers, everything else except the front mech was non original anyway.

I'll put the original wheels back on at some point, but I can't face cleaning them right now

1000011742.jpg
1000011743.jpg
1000011744.jpg 1000011745.jpg

Back