Blimey! (tiny GT Talera beater-bike content) Final update

Re: Blimey! (tiny GT Talera beater-bike content)

You should get the correct sized spanner in the drive side, on the non drive side it looks like you have enough to get a decent pair of mole grips done up tightly to get that bugger out.

Make sure you soak it via the seat tube in plenty of releasing agent like plus gas first for a day or so, and wipe any access away before attempting to remove. It will come out but don't wreck the frame threads, take your time.

Cheers, PlusGas sounds like a plan - I'll give it a go. I've only tried the driveside cup with both spanner and vice but it's not budging yet. I did wonder if it had been cross-threaded but it appears more that the whole cup itself is slightly bent outwards - I guess this could mean that the threads are damaged anyway - we'll see.

Frame is now in the hospital having it's bottom bracket looked at :? as it ain't budging. I've told them not to spend too much time on it as I don't fancy a massive bill when the frame is worth pennies but we'll see. I can already see this project spiralling out of control, heck I even have my eye on one of these :roll: I blame that damn cool paint job :p

Anyway, in the meantime while I wait to hear the news from the LBS I may have a go at recovering this :shock:

p5pb13566971.jpg

p5pb13566972.jpg

I do like a challenge and if it saves me from dropping a small fortune on that lovely Brooks then it's worth a go :LOL:

Bars on the other hand can go in the bin now :facepalm:

p5pb13566973.jpg

Good to see your sticking with it, bringing a bike back to life is a pleasurable thing and you'll appreciate it more than one you haven't put work into yourself. If you decide to use riser bars on this I may be able to help you out.

Hi,

How did you retouch the front end? And what's the plans for the areas of chain suck?

I used a layer of standard artist's acrylic paint and then retouched over the top with a translucent blue model paint which once dry can be T-Cut to give a decent finish. Pretty easy with this one though due to the splatter paint job. I did give the stem a coat of clear lacquer too but don't plan on doing that to the frame as the penalty of impatience and runs in the paint is too high :LOL: . The decals are not perfect but retouching with a very fine brush has them looking presentable. The chainstay, I'll sand down first then repaint the whole area - doesn't appear too damaged, just badly scuffed - not too concerned though as I generally wrap the whole stay with inner tube/bar tape anyway :)

Tim, you must've read my mind :) . I do actually have a pair of oldschool riser bars with a bolt-on brace which I'd like to fit but we'll see how daft they look with that hi-rise stem. I'm not averse to a high front end as my main ride at the mo' is a Bottlerocket with Totems so flat bars are pretty low on my list.

Actually scratch that, I reckon a pair of big-ass cruiser bars would go a treat with that Brooks :cool: Maybe I'll use that as an incentive to actually finish this project :LOL:

Well the bottom bracket is out - LBS called this morning with the good news . . . and the bad news . . . £30! What!! :shock: I'd originally been quoted a tenner but it appears that my message not to spend too much time on it got lost in translation :? Anyway, turns out that the original had been cross-threaded in the factory and took quite a bit of effort to remove. They were concerned too that the threads may have been damaged and would need chasing. Fair play, we agreed to split the difference at £15 and it's now back home with me. Quick offering up of an old steel bottom bracket shell with care and all appears straight and true . . . phew :D

Still not sure I'm feeling this one but have already spent more than it's worth so I guess I'll see it through. Wheels are definitely not original (nutted axles, screw on freewheel and Quando front hub) and seat is toast as the padding was shot but I may have some spare foam somewhere (guess I'm really just looking for an excuse to buy that Brooks :oops: ). Somebody stop me! :facepalm:

Hi! I have the lady version in white, please can you tell me the seatpost size? Thanks

Well, googling Sheldon brings up 26.8 but my post is marked 26.0 and measuring it seems to tally :)

Back