Baby worries

I'm banking on the fact that our little boy will be able to repay us for all the nursery fees, toys, days out and clothes when he's the future star of Welsh rugby and commanding Lee Halfpenny size salaries ;)

Incidentally, if anyone wants any free 6 Nations, World Cup or Autumn International tickets, come and see me in about 18 years time :LOL: :LOL:

There aint nowt better than a bit of this and water

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairy-Liquid-Le ... iry+liquid :D :D

Although I did breast feed past 12 months for all except the first, and mashed our own dinners for all except the last who just ate things whole from six months

At 6 months you'll want one of these, saves a ton on baby food bottles, I used to mash up things individually so they'd get the taste for different foods rather than a mashed up combo of everything

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CKS-Stainless-S ... le+grinder

:D :D

Alison

mattr":3m5n619r said:
OP, the wife and I are just going through a similar thing, twins arrived two weeks ago. Biggest cost so far is the set up, which you have covered. The bits and pieces like food and nappies don't seem to be that hugely expensive so far........

That's the thing I mentioned earlier - if you've covered the setup / one-off costs, and are largely equipped early days with kids didn't seem terribly expensive. Plenty of friends / family seem to be buying them clothes and outfits - and they're not expensive, anyways for babies.

Even with formula and nappies, it never seemed a big increase in costs. Childcare was the biggest cost that needed to be factored in.

It all comes in secondary school, £1500 Ski trip, £500 French trip, £500 second French trip, last year I was expected to pay £2500 for my daughter to go on these, needles to say she isn't.

Alison

Alison":n3b9nu7c said:
There aint nowt better than a bit of this and water

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairy-Liquid-Le ... iry+liquid :D :D

Whilst I understand the rationale behind your argument (which is, essentially, "it never did me or my kids any harm") please don't start spreading suggestions that sterilising baby bottles is superfluous. You do know why sterilisation of baby bottles is important, don't you?

This isn't some new age thing, where because of it, kids aren't building up any resistance, you know. I get that you don't buy into a lot of conventional stuff - and that's all well and good, so long as there's no harm in it. But resistance to use of the health service, that may impact health and education, as well as other things, is kind of painting a picture, more about what you don't think is important, rather than what really matters.

Being a good parent, sometimes involves putting our own preferences and beliefs aside, and instead going with what is in the best interests of our kids.

Both of my kids had various problems, that took time to manifest, and where control from infection was important (one of them being on prophylactic antibiotics for some years). With the best will in the world, somebody isn't going to know that until it's diagnosed - and in my examples took some time, and overriding of one GP's hand-waving dismissal.

So whilst you may not think it's important, maybe have a think before advocacy and suggestion that sterilising baby's bottles is a load of bunk, and a bit of fairy liquid will do the trick.

True, my life was ans is very different to 99% of the people I've ever known, I was brought up in a farm house, with pigs, cows, sheep, goats, chickens and a menagory of other animals and was as far away from sterility as it's possible to get, even my step day obsessed by crumbs, would wipe the kitchen table, spot crums on the floor wipe them up with the same cloth and then continue to wipe the kitchen table with it.

But modern day has become totally paranoid about illness and cleanliness forced by companies creating suede science to sell their products to us.

I'm not a person who believes in alternative medicine, homoeopathy to me is dangerous as people who need proper medical treatment are putting themselves at risk by not utilising it, if I have a headache I take paracetamol, if I have a severe bacterial infection I take antibiotics, when illness strikes I see my GP, but I will not be made to feel my house has to be as clean as a operating theatre or I'm threatening my children's lives, if I don't clean my kitchen surfaces with Dettol every day.

Alison

First off Congratulations, as the guv'nor suggested - look at tax credits / child care vouchers etc.

I did flexible working for a while fulltime hours over four days - avoided the need for additional childcare when the boss went back to work.

Good luck.

M.

Alison":16p40m63 said:
True, my life was ans is very different to 99% of the people I've ever known, I was brought up in a farm house, with pigs, cows, sheep, goats, chickens and a menagory of other animals and was as far away from sterility as it's possible to get, even my step day obsessed by crumbs, would wipe the kitchen table, spot crums on the floor wipe them up with the same cloth and then continue to wipe the kitchen table with it.

But modern day has become totally paranoid about illness and cleanliness forced by companies creating suede science to sell their products to us.

I'm not a person who believes in alternative medicine, homoeopathy to me is dangerous as people who need proper medical treatment are putting themselves at risk by not utilising it, if I have a headache I take paracetamol, if I have a severe bacterial infection I take antibiotics, when illness strikes I see my GP, but I will not be made to feel my house has to be as clean as a operating theatre or I'm threatening my children's lives, if I don't clean my kitchen surfaces with Dettol every day.

Alison

And nobody, least of all me, is suggesting such a thing.

I just don't think it's responsible to be banging away on that there keyboard, suggesting that sterilising baby bottles is a load of old bunk, in a thread for parents-to-be. It's not (bunk, that is).

I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life. I'm just suggesting it's not good to spread a bit of FUD about sterilisng baby bottles - there is a difference, nobody has rapped on about cleaning your kitchen surfaces but you.

Back