Baby worries

kids pick up on stress, relax everything is going to be alright. people have been doing this since, well forever, and in a lot worse conditions than your in right now. really you have nothing to worry about, had my first in brazil with no income but always found a way

Look to "Jack and Jill" sales for your baby stuff, every town has them and most baby stuff is well looked after. Child benefit makes a big difference so will help.

A new baby does cost more but breast feeding is free if it works for your partner. If you don't want washing, own brand disposable nappies are cheaper and work just as well, only ever use value nappy sacks, you are throwing them away.

You will get by, try not to worry, relax and enjoy it while it lasts, they grow up so fast.

The Ken":15khc0g3 said:
Look to "Jack and Jill" sales for your baby stuff, every town has them and most baby stuff is well looked after. Child benefit makes a big difference so will help.

A new baby does cost more but breast feeding is free if it works for your partner. If you don't want washing, own brand disposable nappies are cheaper and work just as well, only ever use value nappy sacks, you are throwing them away.

You will get by, try not to worry, relax and enjoy it while it lasts, they grow up so fast.

Too right, I gave birth for the first time not that long ago, next month he turns 21 do don't let a second pass by without noticing it and enjoy every second, it's amazing how things fall into place automatically.

All the best

Alison

The Ken":2wgulgzi said:
only ever use value nappy sacks, you are throwing them away

Yup - and don't bother with any of those fancy, schmancy things for putting nappy sacks in, or bins for the bags - you'll wanna tie that kangaroo down, sport, and hoof it straight in a bin afterwards.

My other tip? People get all sorts of things for sterilising bottles, and many use microwaves - but I find it to be slow and a JIT thing. Cold water steriliser using Milton - change the water daily, wash a bottle / lid / teat, bung it in the steriliser, 30 minutes later it's ready to use, you don't even have to rinse it. So you can wash them and just keep them in there until you're ready to make one up.

Just to say, there's a fair amount of money wasted on stuff like that, that either never gets used, or is just over the top for what you will use.

Neil":17kje3ge said:
The Ken":17kje3ge said:
only ever use value nappy sacks, you are throwing them away

Yup - and don't bother with any of those fancy, schmancy things for putting nappy sacks in, or bins for the bags - you'll wanna tie that kangaroo down, sport, and hoof it straight in a bin afterwards.

My other tip? People get all sorts of things for sterilising bottles, and many use microwaves - but I find it to be slow and a JIT thing. Cold water steriliser using Milton - change the water daily, wash a bottle / lid / teat, bung it in the steriliser, 30 minutes later it's ready to use, you don't even have to rinse it. So you can wash them and just keep them in there until you're ready to make one up.

Just to say, there's a fair amount of money wasted on stuff like that, that either never gets used, or is just over the top for what you will use.

Stupid money is waisted by parent's because manufacturers make people believe that they have to buy them if they care for their baby, load of rot, I've never sterilised anything but just soaked in Milton as suggested is more than enough, OK I did breast feed most of the time, but when my eldest went onto cows milk at 6 months (he bit and the teeth coming through was the last straw) never sterilised anything. also I used reusable nappies, nappy liner to catch the nasty stuff, even had wool nappy covers as they actually were waterproof when soaked in lanolin, I even made my own out of old pure wool jumpers :D

Alison

About the baby stuff - I'm not sure whether you have read my previous posts, but we're sorted for all that as we're getting it given to us by my girlfriend's sister in law, who has a 2yr old and a 5yr old boy. Thanks for the advice though :)

Alison":28qc8h3l said:
I've never sterilised anything but just soaked in Milton as suggested is more than enough
You mean Milton sterilising solution i take it? Which would technically be sterilising things.

FWIW, we can't even buy Milton fluid or tablets here, they aren't considered to be safe for use in or near food preparation areas. 3 minutes in the microwave wave works just as well. Makes cleaning Camelbaks and water bottles a little problematic!

OP, the wife and I are just going through a similar thing, twins arrived two weeks ago. Biggest cost so far is the set up, which you have covered. The bits and pieces like food and nappies don't seem to be that hugely expensive so far........

mattr":1znlnpzx said:
Alison":1znlnpzx said:
I've never sterilised anything but just soaked in Milton as suggested is more than enough
You mean Milton sterilising solution i take it? Which would technically be sterilising things.

FWIW, we can't even buy Milton fluid or tablets here, they aren't considered to be safe for use in or near food preparation areas. 3 minutes in the microwave wave works just as well. Makes cleaning Camelbaks and water bottles a little problematic!

OP, the wife and I are just going through a similar thing, twins arrived two weeks ago. Biggest cost so far is the set up, which you have covered. The bits and pieces like food and nappies don't seem to be that hugely expensive so far........

No I was saying I never sterilised anything, but if you wanted to, the tablet's would be fine, rather than buying a steam steriliser. me I just washed things in water and washing up liquid. My kids are as tough as old boots and never or very very really suffer colds and what not.

Alison

Back