Baby worries

I've had a similar situation twice in the last six years.
After my eldest was born we put her into a nursery at 12 months, it was a bit of a shock to the system paying out roughly around £400 a month on child care costs but you do get a little help(child tax credits I think) and you soon learn to cope with less money as you will spend most of your spare time looking after little un.

All I can say is try not to worry, this should be a very enjoyable time as once they are born they grow up so quickly and before you know it they will be at school!

p.s Money is not everything and if you are really worried about money go and see the citizens advice, they will be able to tell you what beneifts/rent top? up etc that you are entlitled to.

mass199":votpik73 said:
p.s Money is not everything and if you are really worried about money go and see the citizens advice, they will be able to tell you what beneifts/rent top? up etc that you are entlitled to.

I'm used to being without much money and have been for a good few years. My main concern isn't how much money I will have left over, it's whether we will be earning/claiming enough to be able to cover our bills/rent and childcare.

Look into childminders rather than nurseries, ours charges by the hour and is flexible as to when we put our lot in. Also try to pick the brains of as many people with kids as you can, the amount of crap you buy because you think you need it is ridiculous! Have a good look at your outgoings, really getting another job isn't the answer, working all the time to pay for stuff and then never having any quality time is an easy trap to fall into.

EDIT: have a look round some of the money saving sites too, start chipping away at that monthly outgoing.

Reach out to other new parents in your area, it is great to have a little group support.

Try not to stress about it, things do always work out and you should enjoy every minute when the day comes.

No chance of relocating back to near family? It is times like these the grandparents were made for!

You should be fine, I earn less than that one of you and I support my two children and the wife stays at home.
Saying that I didn't build up credit on cards so nothing to pay off there. We also don't have a mortgage/rent to pay either but that's because over here it is cheaper than Cardiff.
We lived in Cardiff when our first was due but moved just before he was born.

To be honest you can plan all you want but stuff happens and you'll do what you do. Many live on far less, worry about it nearer the end of maternity time and are you taking dibs?

YNAB (You Need A Budget) it's an on-line budgeting system, is what my hubby and I use as a budgeting tool, it's what keeps us afloat, we have always kept a budget plan, whether in a book, early 90's to Microsoft Money early 2000 and now YNAB, and it's helped us loads knowing what we have, what we can spend it on and what we can put aside. we plan our weeks expenses to the latter, and very rarely go over this, I know exactly what I'm cooking, I do a menu every week, and we only buy exactly what we need, I think keeping your finances regulated and regimented stops any problems building up behind you ready to bite you on the bum unexpectedly.

Alison

highlandsflyer":2n10fhhd said:
No chance of relocating back to near family? It is times like these the grandparents were made for!

No chance. My grandparents are in their mid 80s and live on a big farm which takes a LOT of looking after (even though it's now a non-working farm, there's still 00's of acres of land/woodland to manage). My grandad can't do a lot of the work due to his physical health (both knees are basically dust). Plus there's the fact that we're both in permanent full time jobs with the NHS, so relocating (even if we were able to) would be a last resort.

FluffyChicken":3kclgh0y said:
To be honest you can plan all you want but stuff happens and you'll do what you do. Many live on far less, worry about it nearer the end of maternity time and are you taking dibs?

You can have first dibs on the dirty nappies :LOL:

Have a look at your local Surestart/Children and Family centre, there will be people there who can point you in the right direction with pretty much anything to do with kids and bringing them up. That includes everything from money/budgeting, childminders, nurseries,through to breastfeeding advice, dad's groups, playgroups, and all points inbetween, including meeting other new parents which is a great help.
You won't need a nursery just yet, so don't worry too much at the moment.
Babies are unbelievably expensive in the first few months, accept all the offers of free stuff, check out all the charity shops and jumble sales as well, babies grow out of stuff in minutes it seems so there's loads of good quality clothes for pence out there.

Don't sweat it, you guys will be awesome!

budgeting has been mentioned, also whatever happens DO NOT go for any of these short term loans, and if any spare cash then I completely agree with someone who suggested paying off credit cards etc, any debt that is expensive (ie everything except a mortgage) is a bad idea as in the long run difficult to pay off when money is very tight.

also on the general front, get the bag for the hospital packed early, our daughter decided to make her arrival 3 weeks before due date and packing it as leaving for the hospital at 2am was "interesting".

Back