When did pedestrians forget the Highway Code?

Fifthgrace

Retro Guru
Out on the bike in the Cheshire countryside several times over the last couple of weeks. Getting fed-up with c 70% of pedestrians who walk on the left hand side i.e. with their backs to oncoming traffic. They have zero awareness of a bicycle approaching from behind and today a dog on too long a lead jumped out at me barking and had I not already manoeuvred onto the right lane (having ensured no oncoming traffic), I would have hit the dog. Regardless of age, the majority of these country walkers appear to be oblivious to the potential danger. One parent even had a toddler on a balance bike (no pedals) weaving with their back to me. I stopped and politely enquired why they thought it was safe for them to be on the road when there was even a pavement on the opposite side. I won't repeat the verbal abuse I received, but shame on that parent...

If they are in front of you then they got there first so your rights don't matter I'm afraid. I'm in Cheshire too but I think it's a worldwide thing.
I nearly ran over a dog in my van a few weeks ago. On a 5m extending lead he was on the pavement but ran into the road to investigate some old road kill. I managed to stop and lowered my window to ask the 'lady' to be more careful with the dog while the leash is extended as it's lucky to be alive. I received a tirade of verbal abuse so I gave it straight back with both barrels. The dog on the other hand seemed to take it all in and looked really happy.

I would never take road safety advice from Darth Vader .. dude has zero peripheral vision so running out from behind the ice-cream van would mean certain death

I ride through student-ville on my way home.. these guys barely look up from their phones 😁

Saying that.. these public awarness campaigns do work.. nobody with aids has been crushed by a giant gravestone since the 80s.. they just need bringing up to date.. Deadpool needs to kick the sh*t out of Vape O'Teen!

It's not just a UK thing, here in Spain the majority seem to walk or run on the wrong side of the road too... Just absolutely clueless.

Do what I do. Give a loud shout on approach. Wakes them up. Never fails. If it's a narrow road there's no option but to slow right down. Ditto if I think they may have headphones.

They walk on the left because we drive on the left. They leave their brains at home and can't work out that they can't see approaching traffic. They put themselves at risk and blame everybody else.
Next we can talk about bleeding joggers with dinner plates over their ears and dog walkers with mile long dog leads. And everybody walks eyes down looking at Facebook.
Just a lack of consideration for others which is prevalent across all sectors of society nowadays.....including cyclists.
The last line sums it up sadly. No consideration for others.

To get me and my pups to the footpath we have a bit of country road to traverse and it involves a blind righthand bend. Now this road is used as a rat run and the idiotic speeds that some drivers go at would leave me and my pups no chance of getting out of the way, So we walk on the left until we are past the bend, this is the only time I walk with my back to the traffic. Having to walk on the road nowadays is a risk no matter which side you walk on. And don't get me started on dog owners with those stupid leads...

Back