When did pedestrians forget the Highway Code?

To get me and my pups to the footpath we have a bit of country road to traverse and it involves a blind righthand bend. Now this road is used as a rat run and the idiotic speeds that some drivers go at would leave me and my pups no chance of getting out of the way, So we walk on the left until we are past the bend, this is the only time I walk with my back to the traffic. Having to walk on the road nowadays is a risk no matter which side you walk on. And don't get me started on dog owners with those stupid leads...
Yes but that's what the HC recommends, or at least it used to? Walk against oncoming traffic unless a particular situation would make more sense to do the opposite. Or words to that effect. The key thing is common sense, unfortunately less common all the time...

I've had numerous 'encounters' with clueless pedestrians, who seem to think that staring at a phone while walking on a crowded sidewalk with a line down the middle to keep bikes and others apart is a good idea. I also make ample use of my vocal chords with these types.

Increased urbanisation/population means you are less likely to know/be accountable to others, add in cult of the individual and addiction to distraction via phones as a way of smoothing over life's stresses results in people being naive to the dangers. Getting pulled out that digital bubble (which is the default state for many) into reality is jolting and hence the abuse.

To get me and my pups to the footpath we have a bit of country road to traverse and it involves a blind righthand bend. Now this road is used as a rat run and the idiotic speeds that some drivers go at would leave me and my pups no chance of getting out of the way, So we walk on the left until we are past the bend, this is the only time I walk with my back to the traffic. Having to walk on the road nowadays is a risk no matter which side you walk on. And don't get me started on dog owners with those stupid leads...

Yep, anyone walking facing oncoming travel would die on our narrow winding country roads. I walk down the middle, and move over and stand to the side when I'm quite sure the driver has clocked me. Helps that being rural there's little traffic and you can hear it coming including direction. Plus there's a roughly 25% chance I'll know the people driving.

Last edited:
So here's a reminder from the Code ("General Guidance for pedestrians"):

Rule 1​

Pavements and footways (including any path along the side of a road) should be used if provided. Where possible, avoid being next to the kerb with your back to the traffic. If you have to step into the road, look both ways first. Always remain aware of your environment and avoid unnecessary distractions. Always show due care and consideration for others.

Rule 2​

If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

• be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
  • keep close to the side of the road.
It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

Looks like we might need a Keith Prowse campaign again -at least he is remembered by those that saw him. Whoever is chosen will also need to be TikTok savvy! For now, it looks like I will need to ruin my featherweight bike with the addition of an odd looking device that makes a ringing tone when flicked. Do they still make them?!....

Last edited:
A piece of road that I regularly walk along has one narrow pavement. No matter how much I try to stick to Rule 1 - which is both sensible and logical - when walking with the traffic flow on that side of the road it's rare if I don't end up having to step into the road to avoid pedestrians who are heading the other way. I'm not insignificantly sized so it's not like they can't see me.
Locally we have a number of shared route foot/cycle paths. Even on those that have separator lines and are clearly marked you'll find both pedestrians and people on bikes using whichever lane they feel like. In places I'd not blame them as some of the routes appear to have been designed with little thought as to their use. Originally the signs at each end of one of them were such that cycles were to use the left lane while pedestrians should use the right meaning that part way along the path you were likely to meet a pedestrian or cyclist who thought you were in the 'wrong' lane.
I noticed something of a sea-change in pedestrian habits after the public information campaign about people surviving sub-30mph collisions. In the 20mph zones I drove through in Leeds the number of people crossing the roads without stopping to look at the traffic increased quite significantly.
By and large people are stupid or selfish or arrogant - or all three - and expect other people to be responsible for their safety. Which is why you'll never find a poor personal injury lawyer.

We just need a bit more give and take rather than more rules we have to abide by.. y’know, we’re all cyclists, we’re all pedestrians and most of us are motorists and we all make mistakes..
If there has to be rules they should simply be..

1) be cool
2) be polite
3) be nice to one another

The problem is though that so many "rules" only need to be there because way too many people have no idea and are incapable of thinking for themselves... look at the rules posted above! there is nothing there that anyone with a little bit of common sense wouldn't do anyway!!!

That’s far too many exclamation marks @foz .. you’re already breaking rule #1 of being cool 😎

We just need to be more tolerant of each other.. someone bumps into me in the supermarket and we both say ‘sorry’ even though it was clearly their fault.. it just makes the world a nicer place to live

The alternative to supermarket etiquette is lanes and traffic lights and nobody wants that.. well some of you might? 😉

Back