A very sad neglected dynatech

I'd be reluctant to spend too much refinishing the frame. Looking at the corrosion around the lugs it wouldn't surprise me if it came unstuck. The joins have been known to come apart.

Is there a wire inside like on some other bonded ones from the same age?
I had mine come apart during a nice downhill run :rolleyes: ehr "just riding along".
Except it didnt come fully apart, was held together by a piece of "shinamo"

@Markybeau Cheers for the mention.
These pics are from my Endeavour #2 restoration when I took it back to bare metal. Only the headtube is an aluminium casting - the bottom bracket and seat tube castings are steel.
None of my Dynatechs have come unbonded, so I've no idea of there are internal rings or shims.
The chain stay to the bottom bracket appears to have an external ring but I think it's part of the casting. Endeavour #1 had part of one of these missing so it had a resin repair. It was unlikely to see any hard use riding so the repair was cosmetic rather than to improve structural integrity.

As already mentioned - wet paint rather than powder coat is the way forward. I used Langlows strip away pro to get back to bare metal without affecting the bonding. Etch primer before primer coats. Colour matched paint from a proper auto shop was used and the 2K clear coat was applied in a professional paint booth.

1000002378.jpg

1000002376.jpg

Check my Endeavour and Odyssey builds for the full lowdown.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
The wire in mine connected the head tube lug to the bottom bracket lug. Maybe it was used also for mounting and holding the glued parts together, tightening from the inside of the BB.

The wire in mine connected the head tube lug to the bottom bracket lug. Maybe it was used also for mounting and holding the glued parts together, tightening from the inside of the BB.
Sounds feasible. You'd have thought that the Raleigh special products division would be producing enough Dynatech frames to be bonding them together with frame jigs to ensure proper alignment and consistency on a premium product line though. Maybe it was some sort of ad hoc repair done later in it's life?

@Markybeau Cheers for the mention.
These pics are from my Endeavour #2 restoration when I took it back to bare metal. Only the headtube is an aluminium casting - the bottom bracket and seat tube castings are steel.
None of my Dynatechs have come unbonded, so I've no idea of there are internal rings or shims.
The chain stay to the bottom bracket appears to have an external ring but I think it's part of the casting. Endeavour #1 had part of one of these missing so it had a resin repair. It was unlikely to see any hard use riding so the repair was cosmetic rather than to improve structural integrity.

As already mentioned - wet paint rather than powder coat is the way forward. I used Langlows strip away pro to get back to bare metal without affecting the bonding. Etch primer before primer coats. Colour matched paint from a proper auto shop was used and the 2K clear coat was applied in a professional paint booth.

View attachment 830301

View attachment 830302

Check my Endeavour and Odyssey builds for the full lowdown.

Cheers
boy"O"boy
Cheers mister worst case scenario I'll silver braze it with a new head tube.

Sounds feasible. You'd have thought that the Raleigh special products division would be producing enough Dynatech frames to be bonding them together with frame jigs to ensure proper alignment and consistency on a premium product line though. Maybe it was some sort of ad hoc repair done later in it's life?
No, it was a shop bought, off the shelf Merida Albontech. Merida, I believe, learned from Raleigh how to bond and make such frames. Possibly a safety measure devised in Taiwan.

Back