1991 Peugeot Black Mamba build thread

mclaren680

Marin Fan
image0.jpeg

Well here goes my first build thread - a '91 Black Mamba in mostly great condition I picked up today. I've been looking out for a Python or Scorpion in the pink / dark purple fade very similar to this for ages but never saw one in my size (22" ish) but this baby blue (?) fade to black pops even with the film of grime it has

It's definitely been ridden with all the usual hallmarks and some paint chip issues on the top of the non drive chainstay (of all places?!), but the majority of the paint is in fab nick and will be lovely once deep cleaned and polished etc.

I'll get the divisive bit out of the way now though...I'm literally 50/50 on whether to go with a correct restoration or restomod.....

image1 (1).jpeg
Stripped, cleaned, isopropyl alcohol wiped, T-Cut and polished.

Still have to remove some stubborn protective stickers on the fork blades. Found that the stem is seized but luckily in the position I'd have it so I'm not bothered.

I'll also give it another clean after the build so I'll repeat all of this and more thoroughly get all the small blemishes and nooks/crannies dealt with.

Last edited:
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

I'll rust convert all the multiple spots in the pics and decide whether to clearcoat and leave as is to preserve the patina aesthetic...or see if I can at the very least colour match some paint and have a go at covering them.

I may even do a Spray.Bike black bottom half around the BB and seat stays where a previous owner has partially started behind the BB and attempt to recreate the fade to light teal(?).

Defo go for the classic strip and rebuild resto as it'll be a real shame not to build it back to the original state since you've already have all the components.

Defo go for the classic strip and rebuild resto as it'll be a real shame not to build it back to the original state since you've already have all the components.
Yeah, I'm torn between a restoration with the Deore LX group and Mavic Oxygen M6 wheelset, and a build I'd actually ride more. So... I'm doing a mock up build with an XT M739 3x8 drivetrain and V brakes with Mavic XC717 / XT hubs first, then a mock up build of a 1x10 11-50t before I consider doing a proper resto. Pics to follow

Back