92 team marin......well....almost....

Modern bikes are amazing to ride and the choice of what's available is staggering. I don't mind how some of them look, but I have no "love" for them as I do with older stuff. Lots of modern bikes hurt my eyes from a form/aesthetic POV. It's the same as cars & motorbikes, no interest in most modern vehicles.

Abandoned trying to replace the front chainring, no one has one in stock, so I'm flipping it backwards (single wide/narrow so no shifting ramps) to minimise any damage to the new chain/cassette I'll fit, plus doesn't have much wear as it's steel.

Going back to your chainset... That is such a great photo! 😍

Now it gets interesting.....

The great brake dilemma.

I've been thinking on this since the start and just cant quite make my mind up.

Thought if I waited till the bike was a bit more in one bit it might help......but its not!

The options are stick with the drivetrain group and go xtr m900 canti....or.....put on XT V brakes.....(yes I know its not retro, but I did say to start with it wasn't one for the fearful amongst you).

The controls won't be xtr....i dont like them (I know thats probably blasphemy too, but there it is).

There's big advantages to the v brakes in functionality and allowing for easier adjustment, plus they are lighter and none of that cable farting about. Plus on big frames you do get an about of brake shudder due to cantilever cable stretch under breaking. But the v's will have to have different levers...obvs.....which I do like.....you know the DX BL600 ones....I just like the feel and bmx-ness

But....the Xtr are nice, shiny, match, more period and im not sure my ocd will not flip out...plus i love the brake levers......my go to retro Suntour XC Pro.

Help! I cant loose much more sleep as im unable to function at work! 🤣🤯*

*got to love a massively first world problem.....😂

Last edited:
I'd have to go with the cantis because matchy matchy. :) that's just me though.
Try both and decide?
V's easier to set up but with a bit of fiddling cantis can be just as good IMHO.

Oddly, popping them on the bike, neither disturbs me enough to help me make up my mind..🤣.

Maybe, I just need to accept the benefits of modernity and move on!

Oh dear god! Where will that lead......next I wil be buying one of those new fangled flat screen TVs.

I'd go with M900 low pro cantilevers. Never had V-brakes on a mountain bike. I use to make my own cantilevers (Grafton esq - so they might as well have been V's!) and I was an early adopter of disc brakes (Hope). I much prefer the look of cantilevers, but appreciate the simplicity of cable routing for V's. My pet hate with V's is seeing them fitted to bikes that had cantilevers and seeing un-used cable stops/guides etc.

Whatever you choose, you'll no doubt make it look just right! Look forward to seeing what direction you take! ;)

Lets swing back to an easier question. 🤣.

Bars...easy. I now have one " go to" bar that suits all my requirements in one easy package.

Azonic double walls. The older version.

Nice little bit of pull back to relax the wrists and un-trap nerves, 720 wide...again spot on for me these days, 60mm rise to help get me head up....300g.....all good.

20240205_100439.jpg

Back