92 team marin......well....almost....

Great write-up @Tootyred. Very thorough explanation and should help many a RBer out with moving from Uniglide to Hyperglide or 7 to 8 speed.

Loving the sunsets. This bike is going to look different every time you take a photo!

Last thing is just to check your derailleur position.

I found I was still a touch too close so i popped a 1mm spacer on the freehub behind the cassette......and a further 1mm spacer onto the driveside spindle.....and 1mm off the non drive side...

View attachment 812878

FINALLY......if this is a built up wheel like this, you will need to re dish it as you have moved the centre line in the process...

View attachment 812880

Done....8 speed old skool xt hubs.

View attachment 812879
Thanks, that's really useful for me

Those wheels look a perfect match

Seatpost sorted thanks to @wadsy ......cheers for divesting some of your fantastic quality stash.

Nicely in keeping with the original marin styling.....but long enough for me to actually use 🤣.

Going with a good old favourite saddle to. Flight gel titanium. 30g heaver than a normal flight, but 50 miles more comfortable!

20240122_130808.jpg

20240122_130941.jpg

Seatpost sorted thanks to @wadsy ......cheers for divesting some of your fantastic quality stash.

Nicely in keeping with the original marin styling.....but long enough for me to actually use 🤣.

Going with a good old favourite saddle to. Flight gel titanium. 30g heaver than a normal flight, but 50 miles more comfortable!

View attachment 813692

View attachment 813693
That saddle seems to be in very good nick. I had one of these (and still do somewhere) on my last 90s race bike and remember it got pretty shreaded/worn quite quickly. Never had any comfort issues with them, although I haven't ridden one in quite a few years now so not sure if my bum is as Flite compatible as it use to be 😜🤣

I always thought that it was just lucky that flights fit my butt......

Then I realised its the other way round.... 30+ years of riding on them has MADE my butt flight shaped.🤣

That photo makes the chainrings look HUGE! Had to double check the number of teeth on the outer! 🤣 I have just been looking at a replacement chainring for my boys MTB... 4 bolt 30T thing with a stupid spaced BCD that looks like it's gonna' cost me £'s to replace!

I know, modern stiff looks like some kinda kids stunt bike to me...little tiny ring, then a huge heavy rear cassette. Not quite sure what its trying to save.....maybe its helping preserve endangered ratios.....stoping them being captured in the wild and transported to far flung corners of the globe against their will.

Or maybe its just manufacturers wanting to give you less component parts for more money...oh no.....that would just be my sinersism.

Back