Info on my Marin Team Titanium?

swindexter

Retro Newbie
Hi all I have a Marin Team Titanium which I bought last year from its original owner. The tyres aren't original but as far as I can see most of the rest seems to be. The frame number is just four digits 277* on the rear dropout. Can anyone tell me more about the bike? The chap I bought it from thinks he bought it in 1990 (new)?

Attachments

• Marin team titanium.jpg
    Marin team titanium.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 84
Certainly looks like a 90ish. Pretty sure these were USA built, maybe by Merlin or Lightspeed but someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

@Benandemu knows his stuff.

It's a litespeed frame. I have the same bike.

You can even ask litespeed and they will clarify it for you for $15 or so if you give them the frame number on the dropouts.

Im building up the same bike at the moment

It's yours a 17.5" or 19"?

It's a litespeed frame. I have the same bike.

You can even ask litespeed and they will clarify it for you for $15 or so if you give them the frame number on the dropouts.

Im building up the same bike at the moment

It's yours a 17.5" or 19"?
Thanks for the tip - litespeed replied in light speed and confirmed it's 17.5" built May 1990. Yours looks to have some differences eg stem. I'm trying to work out what's original on mine

Your stem looks like the Marin 1989 version. You've got a different headset because you don't have a roller stem.

Looks like you have campag rims? Mine are Mavic.

Groupset and everything else looks the same apart from the seatpost.

The seatpost I'll be switching out on mine as it doesnt fit the colour/age.

What are your plans with it?

thanks that confirms what Litespeed since told me.
@manc_lad I've got some NOS Rockstar Sierras to fit then a gentle clean. I'm curious about the stem but there appears to be an action photo of a team ti in the 1991 catalogue with one that looks very similar. And apparently they were supplied frame only? so some features could change?

Frames were supplied on their own, or they could be built up to a spec by the dealer. The stems were made by Litespeed (they also made forks), and they were available as either a roller stem or not (like yours). It’s a lovely thing, and should really remain with the frame in my mind. I have a very similar stem for my 1991 build, but decided against using it because I wanted to replicate the iconic fluro theme, but with a Titanium frame rather than steel.

Last edited:
Back