1993/4 GT Zaskar Le Singlespeed: FINISHED

Re: Feeding The Obsession... Zaskar no.3!!

Powder coating sounds like a good option. Much easier to fix damage and hide it under powder coat and it will look pretty similar to the original black frames if done well unless you're right up close.

I did have a contact for a place that will anodise bike frames. Must dig that out sometime cos I would love to give it a go sometime.

I think I saw a black powercoated one on here a while back - looked really good. It made me think about powder coating my beat up old Zaskar. I also recall someone did a brown powerdercoat as well - very stealth. I wasn't too sussed about their decal choice, but with the right decals that brown one would have been deadly. I think a white Powdercoat with a black build and black decals would be great too. Someone powdercoated an old Rocky Stratos white with a black fork and it looked really nice, but that is a pretty classic Rocky Mountain look.

I'm really surprised you're picking ball burnished over the anno aqua - that is an absolutely smashing looking frame.

Just thinking up some ideas atm. And yeah some may find it a strange choice but having owned one of each i think i still prefer the ball burnished version. Theres just something about it

Sean :cool:

SEANSTEPHENS":2mjxtofa said:
Just thinking up some ideas atm. And yeah some may find it a strange choice but having owned one of each i think i still prefer the ball burnished version. Theres just something about it

There is no wrong choice if the builder is happy with the final outcome.

While I like the look of anno'ed frames there are some days I wish mine was plain ball burnished because they are easier to get looking top notch.

right then, so after a week of sanding out all the scratches this is basically where im at. its looking a bit rough at the moment but its nice and smooth and ready for some fine wet and dry/polish :D

cheers :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4201.JPG
    IMG_4201.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 398

That doesn't look half bad. Good job buddy. :cool:

I've still got those spare decals if you're interested. Not sure what the white outline will look like on a polished frame, but give me a shout if they're any good to you. ;)

cherrybomb":1g2e4m7s said:

I've still got those spare decals if you're interested. Not sure what the white outline will look like on a polished frame, but give me a shout if they're any good to you. ;)

Cheers mate, its taken a lot of work (hence the slow update) let's just say it wasn't short on scratches and cable rub to keep me busy. But that's 90% gone now and it should look fantastic once its polished. Graphics wise, its worth keeping in mind if yours are cheap but personally I do prefer the bold font of the 1993 set with no outline.

Anyway, Just as I begun work on this zaskar I got a "PM from GM" :LOL: saying he has a 16" Ubrake zaskar for sale, which is the frame I've wanted all along ....So provided its in good condition I doubt I'll be able to resist buying it :facepalm: :D will have to see what happens

No worries, they're here if you want them. ;)

You're gonna have to go for the U-brake frame mate......you know you want to. :D

GM is keeping a look out for an 18" 95 ink blue frame for me......so fingers crossed.

SEANSTEPHENS":2u1l90sn said:
cherrybomb":2u1l90sn said:

Cheers mate, its taken a lot of work (hence the slow update) let's just say it wasn't short on scratches and cable rub to keep me busy. But that's 90% gone now and it should look fantastic once its polished. Graphics wise, its worth keeping in mind if yours are cheap but personally I do prefer the bold font of the 1993 set with no outline.

Anyway, Just as I begun work on this zaskar I got a "PM from GM" :LOL: saying he has a 16" Ubrake zaskar for sale, which is the frame I've wanted all along ....So provided its in good condition I doubt I'll be able to resist buying it :facepalm: :D will have to see what happens

:LOL:

ive switched the Kore stems between the zaskar and the trek as i prefer the black parts against the silver :cool: and Gil_m is making me some fresh graphics to go on. the faded anodising though, i think would of let it down so i wanted to get it re-anodised but decided to go for the cheaper option of stripping and painting it myself.....

had some time free yesterday morning (seeing as the girlfriend takes about 5 hours to get ready to see me :LOL: :facepalm: ) so i got to work on the stem.
Never seen anybody else using this method before but ive found that the best way to strip the anodised finish is to use household bleach (the entire stem too 20 mins to strip completely)

Quick Tester....

After 20 mins inside an old plastic bag half filled with bleach....

And now freshly painted....

Back