1992 Alpinestars Cro Mega DX build

Re:

I can’t believe it’s been 15 months since I started the thread. Sadly not long after that I suffered a back injury and took me until November/December to walk properly and the new year to be able to sit without being in agony. Still taking loads of tramadol but carrying on as normal.
I managed to get the wheels put together on Sunday and hopefully will get the bike finished soon.

Re:

Wow :shock: :shock: That's not good. Glad to hear you're on the mend though. Awesome build thread!

Re:

I’ve come across a problem already - I’ve come to fit the dia compe 987 and the holes where the cantilever is meant to anchor to to give it the return spring is too far from the cantilever - is there some sort of adaptor I need to make the brakes fit my bike?
It has been a while since I’ve been into bikes so you’ll have to excuse my terminology if it’s wrong.

Please - ignore - a bit of playing and I’ve found out.

Re:

I’ve finally made some progress - got the frame and forks back with new hollowtech BB and started fitting parts today. The seatpost is a make do until the ritchey comes from Portugal.
I decided to have a hollowtech fitted and found the XTR 9020 very cheap which I thought the 1-10 would be better then the old 3-7. I’m waiting for the chain ring for the front, a 10 speed XT mech for the rear, I’ve got a 10 speed XT shifter to go on as well as 3DV dia compe leavers.
I’m quite pleased how the silver and purple have turned out - a far cry from the original idea of rebuilding standard.
Only cock up is I must have ordered decals for Cro Mega LX instead of DX but there’s nothing LX or DX on it anyway.
Other than the parts I’m waiting for I’ll pretty much be finished tomorrow - then I’m going to get started on my orange P7 which I’ve been piling parts up for.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188950755 ... res/Y26F76

I realised there’s no decent pics of the hubs - they’re Hope RS4 which I thought suited the retro build.

Hope this works

Re: Re:

coomber":myysuj9s said:
Looks great

Thanks for that - I just wished my Photobucket account wasn’t shot so I could post each pic individually rather than using the Flickr link.

Re:

Really liking this, bitd my friend had one of these in whit/grey and always liked it. I’m a big restomod fan and your mix of new and old goes really well.

Back