Vintage tracker Frankenbike tribute build

Progress nonetheless, and already looking way better than it has any right to if one was to simply read the text describing what you've done and how you've done it.

Inspirational, you've got me thinking once again of building my own cruiser/chopper type bastardised bike using unwanted old frames and bits I've got laying round.

A little more progress today. 38 mm tires, a tight fit in the chain stays. They fit but might rub in corners. I’ll probably dimple them for extra clearance. IMG_0219.jpeg IMG_0218.jpeg

image.jpg The original chain stay spread was 44 mm giving 3 mm clearance on each side of the tire. Too tight. I first tried my standard mild steel chain stay spreading modes, with a torch, to no avail. Chrome molybdenum is too hard, especially if it’s already dimpled. IMG_0224.jpeg
I used a piece of 2x2 inch square tubing and hammered it in between the chain stays. That spread it to 49 mm. IMG_0225.jpeg IMG_0226.jpeg
I need a sledge hammer to widen it more. Next time we’re at our house on the lake, checking it out, I’ll bring back a sledge and a huge splitting maul. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to cut tqo notches for the tire and weld in an indent. It’s pretty good, it a little more would be better. I bet the big hammer will give me a few more mm. image.jpg

Last edited:
Back