Vintage tracker Frankenbike tribute build

Nabeaquam

BoTM Winner
I started on this bad idea today. It’s raining but warm so I could use my shop. The springer fork I‘m trying to use has cups that are too big for the frame and the head tube on the frame is way too short for my springer. I tacked on some head tube pieces I hacked off one of the frames in my frame fence. These pieces have the right diameter for the fork cups and this added the right length. I still have to ream and face the extensions. Perhaps I’ll do that tomorrow. Almost all my bikes, even the nice looking ones, are Frankenbikes. I like to buy old frames, collect old parts I like from vintage bikes and make something. I like this site because almost all the bikes are beautiful restorations. For some reason I seldom restore a bicycle, especially if I can make a better rider out of it. This project will be my winter entertainment. IMG_4255.jpeg
Here is the fork I’m trying to fit to the jury rigged head tube. IMG_4256.jpeg
The cardboard box contains the parts I’ve been finding in my junk. Eight months of finding and tossing. My method is to get an idea and when I find something that will work I toss it in this box. There is a lot of junk in this box that I won’t use, but at the time it seemed like that was where I was going. I have more donor frame pieces to hack off. The rims and tires are in my attic. I’ll probably have to buy spokes as the rims are 650c and the tires are oversized. Like a fool, I tossed out the stuff I figured I’d never use and that included a lot of used spokes. I‘m not sure I can fit these rims and tires in the springer, with the shorty mudguard, which is from a 26 inch balloon tired bicycle. I may have to lace up a 26 x 1.5 inch wheel for the front. I have the rim and probably several 1.5 tires as well. They used mudguards on a lot of 1950s trackers.

Last edited:
The inspiration photos. I’m trying to make something like these homemade bicycles from the 1950s. Almost all the bikes on this forum are way nicer than my pieces. This one will be a real maggot, weld burnt scratched paint. Used vintage parts used as found.
IMG_3288.jpeg
IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0811.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg

Last edited:
I just figured out what happens when an irresistible force is applied to an immovable object, it gives. The head tube reamer had a hard time getting started so vice grip force was added to assist the reamer handles. Get er done. IMG_4262.jpeg IMG_4263.jpeg
The dang cups were tight. A sledge hammer on an anvil fixed that. Now I know my tack welds on the head tube extensions are good. IMG_4264.jpeg
Probably tomorrow I’ll take the front wheel off of my Hercules bicycle and see if a 26 x 1 3/8 tyre clears the springer fender.

I’ll ask it again, why are bicycle components so outrageously expensive? I’ve purchased vintage style motorcycle cable operated brake and clutch levers for 1/3 the price of vintage bike levers. I just bought new, wide, one inch diameter, handle bars for $35 delivered.

IMG_4273.jpeg

You can’t get a flimsy wide bicycle bar for anywhere near that price. I’ve done this before. Sometimes you have to shorten them and bicycle grips won’t fit, but for this project they will simulate the look I’m after. IMG_0811.jpeg

IMG_3374.jpeg
Bar mount shifter adaption on this bike. Also derailleur protection cage. I may use these ideas. 650b wheels here. I’m going to try to use 650c rims as they will probably fit my fork. These 1950s guys used cyclomotor forks. I wonder if he’s using a motorcycle helmet?

IMG_2985.jpeg

Last edited:
Krp, it started to rain, hard. I’m waiting for a dry day to try some furnace brazing on this frame. I walked on an old overgrown rail road grade from about 1900 and found a half of a 20 liter bucket of lump coal. Pretty hard to find, but you can’t buy it here. I’m planning to use the coal on top of a massive hardwood fire and my shop vac exhaust for the bellows. I’m going to tack part of the frame together so my homemade forge won’t make the existing frame brazing come apart. It will most likely be a failure experiment, but it will entertain me. I was raking leaves and got caught in the rain. I’m swilling coffee and sitting by the fire drying out.

The wheel size I want to use fits the fork with plenty of room to spare. These old springers didn’t have a lot of travel. The clearance is tighter in the rear, but still good room around the stays. I think a fender will also fit back there. IMG_4275.jpeg
I can order spokes to lace up these hubs. IMG_4276.jpeg
Sachs drum brake hub.
IMG_4279.jpeg
Strumy Archer drum brake 3 speed. IMG_4277.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m the worlds worst pipe angle coupler. Even with protractors and a pipe cutting jig. I gotta say though, this is my best fitting attempt so far, but not by much. IMG_4294.jpeg Now the hacked off chain stay, from a donor frame, is a drum brake frame brace, held on by welds by the worlds worst welder. A lot more filing has to be done. I have a few more things to weld on but it’s supposed to snow all weekend so I don’t think I’ll be doing that. It would look better if the donor frame had smaller diameter stays, but I didn’t feel like removing another frame from my frame fence. Good enough is perfect around here. This bike is going to be a freaking mess. It already weighs a ton. I think the only parts I’m using that are not steel are the shifter and perhaps the pedals. IMG_4295.jpeg

Last edited:
LOVE this thread! 😍

Is a “frame fence” literally a garden fence with frames hanging off it? If so I need one of them in my life!!! 😍

There’s nothing better than making something using parts you’ve slowly gathered and it just sort of comes together. Who cares about neat welds or perfect alignment?!*

Love the contrast between using a head tube reamer… followed by a sledge hammer & anvil to fit the cups! Awesome stuf!

Hope the weather holds out to keep us RB forum junkies entertained. Keep up the great work… 😎

LOVE this thread! 😍

Is a “frame fence” literally a garden fence with frames hanging off it? If so I need one of them in my life!!! 😍

There’s nothing better than making something using parts you’ve slowly gathered and it just sort of comes together. Who cares about neat welds or perfect alignment?!*

Love the contrast between using a head tube reamer… followed by a sledge hammer & anvil to fit the cups! Awesome stuf!

Hope the weather holds out to keep us RB forum junkies entertained. Keep up the great work… 😎
My frame fence is my hack bike frame parts stash. In the winter the frames are frozen solid into the ground. This makes it easy to cut parts as they don’t move. IMG_4297.jpeg IMG_4296.jpeg

Back