1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Might try that. Been hoping to find a granite spray paint. Zero luck though. In a perfect world I would just powder the whole frame white and add the granite colour.

Gil is working on the decals. We will have them :)

Re:

I love the old Rocky Mountains. Its a shame yours was left in that state but I hope you manage to save it as it will definitely be worth it in the end... :)

It be cool to see one of these fully restored. I don't think its been done ... at least from what I have googled. There's a very nice 1988 floating around that someone did.

I was lucky enough to buy the 1988 Blizzard (team with sloping top tube) off JFKelly.
I am awaiting a wheelset and then hopefully the ball will get rolling. These are incredible frames !

redgunnar":2vnz972o said:
I was lucky enough to buy the 1988 Blizzard (team with sloping top tube) off JFKelly.
I am awaiting a wheelset and then hopefully the ball will get rolling. These are incredible frames !

Is yours the black and white or the white and granite-like colour? I'll probably do mine in the black and white ... looks like there was some crossover in livery from 88-89 from what I have seen.

Good luck with the build. Mine is sitting for now. I have the parts but I am not starting another build until I finish some projects that are in a holding pattern.

Yes, the black and white appears to be a simpler/cleaner route to go.
I look forward to seeing yours progress down the road. It may be a while till I get to mine but it should be a great project - thanks ! Here is a shady image (still need to extract that stuck seat post ;) I wasn't aware initially that they run a 130 mm rear hub otherwise there would have been more incentive to get things rolling ;) cheers.

Attachments

• 88 88 blizzard.jpg
    88 88 blizzard.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 628
Re: Granite Finish

Hey Blizz

Home Hardware has a line of "stone effect" paints that might be close, not sure how tough they would be.

There is also zolatone which the speckly free nish 50's and 60's gm cars used to have in the trunk and floor areas.

The more I read this thread the more I want to "kidnap" and restore my father in law's 88 Hammer, It's pretty much all original, but all the fasteners have gone rusty and the original crank was replaced (I have a nice MT-60 in my parts bin though).

Cheers, Ted

redgunnar":3hulwugp said:
Yes, the black and white appears to be a simpler/cleaner route to go.
I look forward to seeing yours progress down the road. It may be a while till I get to mine but it should be a great project - thanks ! Here is a shady image (still need to extract that stuck seat post ;) I wasn't aware initially that they run a 130 mm rear hub otherwise there would have been more incentive to get things rolling ;) cheers.
Nice 88 Blizzard! I hope you have better luck extracting the seat post than I did.
Ya, it was strange that they used the 130mm spacing on these bikes...makes it hard to find replacement wheels!

ted andkilde":3hulwugp said:
Hey Blizz

Home Hardware has a line of "stone effect" paints that might be close, not sure how tough they would be.

There is also zolatone which the speckly free nish 50's and 60's gm cars used to have in the trunk and floor areas.

The more I read this thread the more I want to "kidnap" and restore my father in law's 88 Hammer, It's pretty much all original, but all the fasteners have gone rusty and the original crank was replaced (I have a nice MT-60 in my parts bin though).

Cheers, Ted
Thanks! I'll check out those paint options. I've still got a couple other bikes to put together before getting back to this one.
Until then, here's a couple other pics after removing most of the rust from my frame:

Attachments

• 89Blizzframe3.jpg
    89Blizzframe3.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 594
  • 89Blizzframe2.jpg
    89Blizzframe2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 594
Back