1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Very nice! Need some better pics

Re: Re:

Retro_Roy":a8ti8iht said:
is this one built yet? :)
would like to see it.
I really should get back to this one! I did get most of the original parts to build it back up (including the Syncros post :LOL: )...I've removed all the rust from the frame, but I still need to get the cable stop brazed on. I'm hoping to get the frame fixed this summer.
A couple new projects have come up this year and those ones are taking priority, so the 89 Blizzard will have to wait a bit longer. :roll:

kellyjk":a8ti8iht said:
found this 88 yesterday...by chance...filet stem too! sorry for the crap pics
Great find! It's good to see another old Blizzard that survived!

Here's one of my current projects...another 88. I'll start a build thread soon!

Attachments

• 88Avalanche2.jpg
    88Avalanche2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 846
Re: Re:

schwartzy16":3gcr2s2a said:
Can you date late 80's Rockies by their serial number?
I wish it was that simple. My Avalanche and Blizzard serial numbers have the letter B or T followed by 4 digits (not related to the year). I would be nice if Rocky still had records of old serial numbers, but they don't. I recently inquired about a 2000 frame that was stripped of decals and they had no record of the serial number. :?
I just figure it out the based off the Rocky catalogues and the Shimano parts kits on the bikes, as long they are original.

I have a blizzard that I believed to be an '88 or an '89 but doesn't have a u brake fork, I supposed the fork could have been replaced. If I posted some pics could someone help me out?

I'm sure people will be happy to assist. Post up in the retro mtb chat section or begin your own thread in readers bikes :)

Re:

Have you given any thought to what you are going to do with the paint on yours?

I picked this old girl up: 1988-89 Blizzard "Slope" or "Team" like yours. She looks to be in better shape. Likely pillaged for parts than tossed around a bit. The paint is tricky. That "granite" paint is a tough touch up. I contacted Gil about decals for it.

Nice Find! I'm not sure who can reproduce the granite paint job. In your case, I would probably just leave the back end the way it is, since it looks good, and repaint the white front end.
My plan is to respray the white and use some black or dark grey touch up paint on the "granite" parts and hope it blends in.
I don't think anyone has reproduced the 80's Rocky Decals yet...let me know if you find some. :)
Good luck with yours!

Back