1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Re:

This is the sad story of my Syncros (1st generation) seatpost.

So after noticing it was seized, I used some penetrating oil and let it sit for a few days. Then I held the frame upside down with the my foot on the saddle and twisted and twisted the frame until I heard a CRACK! I was pretty excited that I freed the post...but it hadn't budged and I noticed a crack in the lower semi-circle clamp.
I figured, ok, I can still use it somewhat with a small crack. Then I rigged up the vice and tried to set it up as to not damage the clamp. I was torqueing the frame so much I was worried about breaking the frame then BANG! the whole upper cross cylinder exploded apart.
I cursed. I almost cried. :facepalm: Then I put the frame away for 2 months.

Everytime I went down to the garage I was reminded of the battle and KNEW I had to get the damn post out. So I researched a bit in the forums and figured it would be best to cut the post off an inch above frame and make a cut all the way down into the frame...did that put it back in the vice and it still didn't move, and unfortunately broke off some of the post sticking out of the frame. So I cut out a quarter section of the post, put it back in the vice...still no movement! Lastly, cut out another section of the post and WOOHOO it was free! I then drank a beer.

Don't ask me how many hours it took. Below are the remnants of the battle. Yes, it's sad. :cry:
Anyone have a 1st gen 27.0 Syncros post they'd like to sell???

Attachments

• syncrospost.jpg
    syncrospost.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 447
Re: Re:

Blizz":3gmbgbsj said:
Thanks for the comments everyone!

shutter":3gmbgbsj said:
You have an option to put on Roller Cam Brakes if they are your Cup of tea =)

If not, I'd recommend Black XT U-Brake on front and rear

The brake cable stop is probably brazed on... most professional mechainics who do frame building can braze one on for you, or you can easily do it yourself if you are handy =)
Thanks, I've looked into a local frame builder and will go with this option.
I'm trying to find another pair of XT u-brakes in better shape, since I'm going for more of a stock build. I think the u-brakes and Syncros seatpost are going to be the hardest ones to find!

Don't you already have a Syncros post? I might have a spare u brake... I can check. Black XT?

Edit: oh yea, you had to cut it out... Keep the top part off your old one, those bits come in handy as they go missing =)

Blizz":2df0dcwy said:
This is the sad story of my Syncros (1st generation) seatpost.

So after noticing it was seized, I used some penetrating oil and let it sit for a few days. Then I held the frame upside down with the my foot on the saddle and twisted and twisted the frame until I heard a CRACK! I was pretty excited that I freed the post...but it hadn't budged and I noticed a crack in the lower semi-circle clamp.
I figured, ok, I can still use it somewhat with a small crack. Then I rigged up the vice and tried to set it up as to not damage the clamp. I was torqueing the frame so much I was worried about breaking the frame then BANG! the whole upper cross cylinder exploded apart.
I cursed. I almost cried. :facepalm: Then I put the frame away for 2 months.

Everytime I went down to the garage I was reminded of the battle and KNEW I had to get the damn post out. So I researched a bit in the forums and figured it would be best to cut the post off an inch above frame and make a cut all the way down into the frame...did that put it back in the vice and it still didn't move, and unfortunately broke off some of the post sticking out of the frame. So I cut out a quarter section of the post, put it back in the vice...still no movement! Lastly, cut out another section of the post and WOOHOO it was free! I then drank a beer.

Don't ask me how many hours it took. Below are the remnants of the battle. Yes, it's sad. :cry:
Anyone have a 1st gen 27.0 Syncros post they'd like to sell???

Ahhh... I see =(

How long do you need it to be? Someone has one they are selling but it's not the 425mm one...

I'm getting a couple of those half circle things made up... I only need one but might as well make a couple... I might make them out of stainless steel, but depends if I can get stainless in the right diameter... If u end up needing one I'll have extras.

Check to see what length of post you need. Make sure the post goes at Least 2" below the point on the seat tube where the rear stays connect. If you go any shorter than this you are risking your seat tube bending backwards

Re:

The last post went about 1cm below the seat stay, I think the height was close to were I would put it. I'm pretty sure it was the 330mm length and I was thinking I could get away with a similar length. I thought it was only an issue if the end of the post was above the seat stays/top tube?

Blizz":34a2dx2q said:
The last post went about 1cm below the seat stay, I think the height was close to were I would put it. I'm pretty sure it was the 330mm length and I was thinking I could get away with a similar length. I thought it was only an issue if the end of the post was above the seat stays/top tube?

Replied to your PM, it depends on your weight and riding style and how often you ride... I'm a bigger guy (welll used to be 210 lb but now 165 lb... but still consider myself bigger)... I don't ride much at all but when I do I'm rough on my bikes... so I use the 2" rule

If you are light weight and a light rider then I wouldn't worry about it :D

my, that seatpost looks mangled and ravaged! looks like you took a grenade to it. :shock: wow, i feel for ya!

sorry to say you're gonna have a VERY hard time sourcing a 1st gen Syncros post. you'll already have a hard enough time just getting any 27.0mm Syncros post in fact, as ppl tend not to want to give them up. maybe you can convince shutter to give up the one he got from me. ;)

regarding insertion, you should have enough seatpost inserted in the frame to go past the lower edge of the top tube where it and the seat tube junction to avoid frame damage/failure.

RockiMtn":38pttqui said:
my, that seatpost looks mangled and ravaged! looks like you took a grenade to it. :shock: wow, i feel for ya!

sorry to say you're gonna have a VERY hard time sourcing a 1st gen Syncros post. you'll already have a hard enough time just getting any 27.0mm Syncros post in fact, as ppl tend not to want to give them up. maybe you can convince shutter to give up the one he got from me. ;)

regarding insertion, you should have enough seatpost inserted in the frame to go past the lower edge of the top tube where it and the seat tube junction to avoid frame damage/failure.

Hahaha or maybe you can convince RockiMtn to give up the titanium one he got from me =)

I do have Two first gen 27.0 Syncros posts and one slightly newer one but they are all in use

I have a couple like new Thompsom (?sp?) 27.0 seat posts I no longer need... Not a Syncros but still nice and all black too =)

shutter":2g47vact said:
I'm getting a couple of those half circle things made up... I only need one but might as well make a couple... I might make them out of stainless steel, but depends if I can get stainless in the right diameter... If u end up needing one I'll have extras.

I looked into this, they would be very easy to make if you can find the right OD tubing that is thick enough in a reasonably strong material. I wouldn't use stainless unless it is thick and then it will be heavy, if it is thin I think it will stress the rails. The problem is finding the right OD tubing. Let me know how it goes. Some hand made lowers combined with the upper parts for a USE could work nicely on 1st gen post.

The uppers are a little bulky for later posts though and the bolts are too long and not threaded far enough down... but these work great for 2nd gen posts (note 3rd and later gen forged uppers to not work on 2nd gen posts very well due to the way the holes for the bolts are made, they don't allow for the angle which the later uppers necessitate).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-M5-Seat-pos ... 43bfbac70a

OP, sorry to hyjack. Your blizzard is going to be awesome! Looking forward to following this one.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back