Tom Avon

LongLegsRetro

Dirt Disciple
I came across this bike a few weeks back, or rather rescued it from being skipped by the owner as part of clearing out his late parents house next door.

Once I showed interest, it went from junk for the skip, to having a price tag, albeit an absolute bargain.

I wasn’t really sure what it was under the 40 years of grime, what looked like a Campagnolo group caught my eye. History wise, all I got out of him was that it was custom built for him in 1980.

From what I’ve read online, there is a possibility it would have been built by Stan Pike for Tom Avon Cycles.

Under all the grime, the frame set turned out to be in nice enough condition, it’s picked up some minor rust spots and chips here and there whilst it’s been in his parents various lofts over the last 40 years.

It appears to be well made with some nice lug details and seat stays. On closer inspection I’m assuming it was a time trial frame only having a right side shifter braze-on and the bars only being partially wrapped.

I would be interested if anyone can shed more light on this frame? Tom Avon Cycles? and the Stan Pike connection? And were these considered good frames in their day?

IMG_9358.jpeg IMG_9359.jpeg IMG_9361.jpeg IMG_9362.jpeg IMG_9364.jpeg IMG_9365.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about Tom Avon but the frame looks very good quality. I was going to say it looks late 80s to early 90s, datewise, but then noticed the cable guide over the top of the bottom bracket. They were usually a 70s thing, but it could have been a preference of the frame builder or owner.

Looks in good condition and nice colour. Good find!

Very nice frame. It only has one shifter braze on on the right along with the guide on the bb, the front derailleur may have been a suicide shift. Or perhaps a clamp on shifter on the seat tube. Interesting lay out. @Guinessisgoodforyou

I don’t know anything about Tom Avon but the frame looks very good quality. I was going to say it looks late 80s to early 90s, datewise, but then noticed the cable guide over the top of the bottom bracket. They were usually a 70s thing, but it could have been a preference of the frame builder or owner.

Looks in good condition and nice colour. Good find!
Time wise, owner mentioned it was custom built for him in 1980, which ties up with the top guide I guess. Couldn’t get much else out of him about it.

I didn’t take a photo of the bike before dismantling it. Surprisingly most things came apart without any dramas, just a seized seat post clamp bolt making a nuisance of its self. Soaking with PB Blaster for a few days and all was well on that front fortunately.

Component wise, from what the owner said, they were all its original parts from 1980.

It has Cinelli bars and stem with Super Record Brake Levers. The bars, stem and bar tape cleaned up a treat so I’m leaving the original bar tape as is. Guessing it’s Benotto. I’ve dismantled and cleaned the brake levers and replaced the crusty crumbling gum hoods with a NOS pair with the globe logo as per the originals.

IMG_9402.jpeg
IMG_9404.jpeg IMG_9405.jpeg

It has a Nuovo Record Seat Post, 27.0mm again polished up nicely, not too many zig zags on it.

IMG_9409.jpeg

I think it’s a Super Record Strada Crank Set? has a 52 tooth single chain ring. I believe the date code on the cranks is 1979.

IMG_9422.jpeg IMG_9424.jpeg

Back