Tom Avon

Interestingly or not, the seized seat post bolt turned out to be a 1/4 BSF thread, proper old skool British engineering there. Luckily one of my late Father’s tins of taps revealed and a set of 1/4 BSF taps, so the encapsulated bolt threads have been suitably cleaned and chased out.

IMG_9350.jpeg

The local fastener supplier only had an industrial finish bolt, happened upon a nice stainless 1/4 x 3/4 BSF cap head bolt in one of my Dad’s ‘I’ll keep that, it might be useful’ tins that I’ve kept. Perfect size. Bit of a polish to smarten it up. Being Stainless a smear of anti seize to prevent the risk of galling.

IMG_9387.jpeg

Also turned my attention to the wheels, wire wool cleaned the corrosion from the spokes, not perfect by any means.

Some 2000 grit wet and dry took care of most of the worst pitting on the hubs, then buffed them back to a sheen with a mini polishing wheel and some fine compound.

IMG_9598.jpeg IMG_9601.jpeg

The skewers were quite crusty with surface corrosion, I was pleasantly surprised how well they cleaned up with a combination of tinfoil, super fine grade wire wool and a light going over with Autosol.

IMG_9413.jpeg

The rims came up nicely with a light going over with Autosol. A set of new ‘budget’ tubulars, they will suffice for the time being.

IMG_9602.jpeg IMG_9603.jpeg

The original saddle had not faired well over the last 40 years, not salvageable, I happened across this Brooks Swallow at the local tip shop, it was looking a bit sorry for its self, vey dry and absolutely filthy. A good clean with saddle soap, a nubuk brush for the underside and all treated to a couple of coats of Brooks proofide which had brought the leather back to life. The frame was in good order, bit of wire wool and Autosol and it looks brand new. Happy with that.

IMG_9605.jpeg IMG_9608.jpeg IMG_9663.jpeg

Super Record cranks didn't exist as such. A Super Record chain set was a set of Nuovo Record cranks with cut-away Super Record chain rings and a bottom bracket that had a titanium axle, alloy cups and ran 3/16" ball bearings. Similarly, Super Record brakes were actually Nuovo Record piccolo drop callipers supplied with drilled brake levers and brakes shoes with a black plastic coating on the wheel guides. The hubs will be Nuovo Record - Super Record hubs were made for about 18 months sometime in the mid-1970s and unreliable titanium axles, the rear of which snapped far faster than the standard Campagnolo steel items. Even back then they were so rare that nobody ever saw any.

Latest posts

Back