1993? Univega Alpina Pro

Stanflashm4n

Devout Dirtbag
I got this a little while back for £15 (thanks to the eBay watch section here!) which seems a good price considering the xt derailleur and lx bits. I quite like the paint and was considering trying to restore it so it’s rideable for as little money as possible. Started stripping it off last night and the rust is pretty bad. The seat post is also jammed. It’s not solid through corrosion because with a lot of force it turns with a horrible creaking noise but I failed to get it out . I’ve sprayed a load of plus gas in it anyway. Looks like it’s bent as there’s a gap between the seat post and the seat tube as you turn it. Might be a case of just stripping the worthwhile parts off if the rust is terminal. I took some pictures of one bit of rust once I’d rubbed it back and I’m not sure if there is a crack… IMG_0645.jpeg

A pity this bike is scrap metal now only any longer, at least for the frame.

Model-wise, your's is a in-between, or mid-season model between of 92 and 93

The 1993 model in the catalog came in two choices, a fade from green to grey but also one with slate paint job, which may look a bit like yours.
But I think there was also a minor change of the frame and the 93 models had more ovalized and more filigree tubes as 92, but this is hard to say.
Definitely more modern components have been used, e.g an aluminum ahead stem.

Univega Alpina Pro 1993 catalog S10-11.jpg

The 1992 model seem to me fit better from the frame, and the sliver-cloud alternative paint job, but the catalog model had still old-fasioned components like DX and Smoke tires and quill stem. 20231023_144721.jpg

Last edited:
A pity this bike is scrap metal now only any longer, at least for the frame.

Model-wise, your's is a in-between, or mid-season model between of 92 and 93

The 1993 model in the catalog came in two choices, a fade from green to grey but also one with slate paint job, which may look a bit like yours.
But I think there was also a minor change of the frame and the 93 models had more ovalized and more filigree tubes as 92, but this is hard to say.
Definitely more modern components have been used, e.g an aluminum ahead stem.

View attachment 787831

The 1992 model seem to me fit better from the frame, and the sliver-cloud alternative paint job, but the catalog model had still old-fasioned components like DX and Smoke tires and quill stem.
View attachment 787833
thanks for the info ,

I took it apart properly yesterday. Everything came off fine except the seat post . Not that it matters much as I think the frame is probably too far gone…probably 🤔
IMG_0813.jpeg IMG_0814.jpeg IMG_0815.jpeg

This seems to be the '92 model?
View attachment 789872
yes, I would guess so.
I have uploaded a newer picture for the 1991 brochure info on the Alpina Pro.
Just, the alternative color variant "silver cloud" wasn't shown in the 1992 brochure and the sample in the right lower corner is not very meaningful. So it's hard to tell.

Unfortunately no one seem to have an 1991 catalog. The way i have understood this, the introduction of the curved chain stays happened in 1991. However, I'm not sure if this happened for the 1991 season, or while 1991. If the latter, that the bikes in the 92 brochures should be first ones to have "max mudroom design".

@STX-RC nice Univega in Classifieds in Alzenau ;), go for it.

I reckon it has the ‘concept performance package’ the stem and bars are concept, also has the black LX cranks like the first catalogue picture you posted and lx/xt bits mentioned there too

Back