Clockwork info thread

Only through reading that article and that's why I got so excited when I first found this bike. Don't think it's one of those though.

Can anyone show me what this decal was originally.
Looks similar to something i saw on a picture of the formula
in another thread.

jFfd6bt.jpg

Could it have been " Direct Drive " as this term was used in there early brochure when describing the rear triangle ?

You're correct. I've read through the '91 brochure – the term "Direct Drive" was used regarding the performance of the rear triangles, although this seemed to be applied generally across the Orange range. Sadly, there's no visual clues to confirm the decal.

In the '92 brochure, "Powerstay" decals were applied to the stays. I think this refers to the aluminium frames though. This decal uses the same classical serifed font Orange used at the time, with an orange in place of the 'O'.

Surely, somewhere in the expansive hinterland of RB there must be an example....

Yeah i reckon Powerstay refers to to the box section stays. Im sure there must be someone who has seen one.
Like Brock says i ll try Coleman

I thought I'd worked it out but can't remember - can you take another pic with the camera looking straight at it so we can see the lower detail?

My gut feel on this bike was that it was a test bed for the Prestige - testing the prestige rear end and forks on a 'known' and 'proven' Clockwork front triangle - a Clockwork Prototype.

I think it's unlikely that they would have set out to prototype test arrangements of Prestige tubes as a prototype for a production 'Clockwork' as that would have been way outside the design spec for that bike in terms of price point (infinity level spec) especially on the rear end.

This would have been in late 89ish prior to the introduction of the Pretige in 1990(?), making it likely to be made in the far east, hence the serial number.

That's just my thinking - either way though it's really cool and I am looking forward to seeing what Tubbz does with it.

Will get a better shot tomorrow in daylight with camera instead of phone. I agree with what you said about it being a test bed for the prestige back end.

Just been trying to find the pic again of the formula with a same/similar decal. Its a shot of it being ridden from the non drive side and you can clearly see the decal but i dont think its clear enough to make out what it says. But cant bloody find the thing now !

TWG-Dave Yates built- Clockwork, Prestige, Sneak peak.

Attachments

• TWG CLOCKWORK. lugged Bottom Bracket..jpg
    TWG CLOCKWORK. lugged Bottom Bracket..jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 179

Latest posts

Back