RetroJIM's Marin Bear Valley SE

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Given I'm impatient and have been unable to source an XL Orange Clockwork or Prestige I spotted this Marin Bear Valley SE frameset for £40. The size is pretty similar being 20.5" C2C and with a nice long head tube.

The condition is a mixed bag, the decals are pretty much intact but the head tube badge is missing. There are no dents but some nasty rust around the bottom bracket shell and seat tube. I don't think it's anything terminal though.

I'm always slightly suspicious when a frame has been stripped of everything bar the bottom bracket and crankset so that could be a chore to remove. We'll have to see.

Anyway here's a couple of pics.

IMG20240422120328.jpg IMG20240422120346.jpg IMG20240422120421.jpg IMG20240422120356.jpg

Last edited:
It's a 1995 model if I'm not mistaken. I'll need to source a few bits, primarily a suitable 26.4 seat post and some wheels. The rest of the bits will mainly come from my parts bin. It won't be a catalogue build :)

Poked the rusty bits with a sharp stick and no holes found so far, so that's good. The seat QR is seized so will need to be cut off, I think that was past saving anyway.

OK, so some progress last night.

As I suspected the crankset was seized onto bottom bracket and the threads were stripped. The stem was also seized into the steerer tube but I got there in the end.

Now I'm not sure what to do about the paintwork. I don't mind a bit of patina but I'm thinking this may be too far gone? I'm leaning towards powder coat but what colour...

IMG20240423205201.jpg
IMG20240423205229.jpg

Back