Mystery Orange Clockwork

Lau7ence

Retro Newbie
Well maybe not that much of a mystery, since this rather nice frame that I bought on eBay was advertised as an Orange Clockwork. But since it's been stripped of nearly all decals (apart from "AAD Passed" on the downtube and the remnants of the Orange stylised star logo just below the fork cantilever bosses, I have no idea what it would have looked like straight from the factory. Key characteristics that might date the frame and hence indicate what decals it would have had are:
- Threadless 1.125" diameter fork steerer (for Aheadset)
- No provision for cantilever rear brake cable stop (hence assumed intended for Vee-brakes)
- Crudcatcher mounting bosses on underside of downtube
- Seatpost clamping slot on forward side of seat tube
- Seat-tube 29.8mm ID and fitted with 29.8mm to 26.4mm shim
- F7 style fork
I'm looking to restore the frame as near as possible to original spec (and equip it with a period-correct stock of STX, Deore and FiR parts that I have).
Can any Orange aficionados identify what year the frame might have been made and what the decals would have looked like and where mounted? Also, it would be good to know the frame and fork tube series used (I've seen series 7.2 and series 7.5 on the frames and series 8.0 on the forks of mid 90's Oranges).
Shooting for BoTM around Mar/Apr 2023! :)

Attachments

• 19 Orange CW1.jpg
    19 Orange CW1.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 19 Orange CW2.jpg
    19 Orange CW2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 19 Orange CW3.jpg
    19 Orange CW3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 19 Orange CW4.jpg
    19 Orange CW4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 19 Orange CW5.jpg
    19 Orange CW5.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 19 Orange CW5.jpg
    19 Orange CW5.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 38
Good point! Yes, it's A706000437.
I thought that the 7 (the first one), might indicate 1997 as the year of manufacture, but the steerer tube is stamped "98 3", possibly indicating Mar 1998?

1997 June made frame, which usually put it into the next year's model (which start end Aug/early Sept ish time).

So a 1998 model as per the forks too. :)

Specs and catalogues are in the Gallery&Archive, also likely to be in the Catalogues scan section of the forum too.
(links in the menu, if having problems just shout).

Thanks for all your replies - all very helpful.
So, from what FluffyChicken says (great username btw!), it seems like my frame was made in June 97 and the fork in maybe March 98, so the bike is probably going to be 98 model.
But the mystery deepens, because yes it has diamond-shaped bottle cage bosses, which Brockelanders02 infers would suggest it being a P7.
So, more questions:
Are there any other distinguishing features that I should look for, to identify the frame as being either P7 or Clockwork?
And, am I correct in thinking that the P7 frame was made from Tange “Prestige” tubing?
It looks like l may need to order a completely different set of decals from Gil at Retrodecals than the set I was expecting to order!

Well I had a cherry red P7 which had gold decals and it may be that the head badge on this is incorrect.

I’ll try to find photos,

Back