WARRIORS AND WARLORDS Chas Roberts & Keith Bontrager

minor_LEGEND":1mt8u7fy said:
Great reading.
Thanks Sinnerman.

NO pobs mate, just wanted to explain my reasons for me having the bikes and to be fair, kinda say thankyou to both keith and chas really.

:oops:

2 Gorgeous builds there ; love also the story you put with it. My Bontrager nugget : I once read that his party trick was welding together the wrappers from Kit-Kats ( old skool metal foil variety ; clearly ) no idea if that is true but given his torch skills ; I can believe it.

kampos":i5lk90xi said:
2 Gorgeous builds there ; love also the story you put with it. My Bontrager nugget : I once read that his party trick was welding together the wrappers from Kit-Kats ( old skool metal foil variety ; clearly ) no idea if that is true but given his torch skills ; I can believe it.

Me too...lol.

Both these guys could turn water into wine, to my mind when it comes to bicycles. For me they took bicycle tubes to a new level thats for sure.

:cool:

Just WOW!! :shock:
Two very special bikes.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing their stories here.
Cheers.

As usual, you go away for a long weekend and Carl pops up with another stunner.

The attention to detail is amazing and it all just fits together superbly. The background write up is brilliant and adds a layer to the story that makes it extra special

Good work mate and as always your builds are in a class of their own :cool:

Damn!! :cool:

Very cool bikes. I'm digging on the CR. I've never seen one this side of the pond, but I can see some definite parallels to KB.

One word of contructive criticism about your choice of brakes on the Bonty OR... Keith was not a big fan of the Pederson self energizing brakes. Here is a snippet from the fork manual:

no_scott_ped.jpg

It's a bit blurry, but this is what it says.

We do not recommend that you mount self energizing brakes on your fork. Our experience is that they offer very poor feedback to the rider and make precise braking control difficult. The brakes can also transmit unpredictably high forces to the cantilever posts.

classen":5cl27q2b said:

Very cool bikes. I'm digging on the CR. I've never seen one this side of the pond, but I can see some definite parallels to KB.

One word of contructive criticism about your choice of brakes on the Bonty OR... Keith was not a big fan of the Pederson self energizing brakes. Here is a snippet from the fork manual:

no_scott_ped.jpg

It's a bit blurry, but this is what it says.

We do not recommend that you mount self energizing brakes on your fork. Our experience is that they offer very poor feedback to the rider and make precise braking control difficult. The brakes can also transmit unpredictably high forces to the cantilever posts.

Appreciate your thoughts mate, and appreciate your time to post... :cool:

I am Aware, to be fair, and i have yet to find a fork application that did feel happy to fit a self energizing front brake at all.

This is probably why suntour only ever used the design for the rear brake only.

the whole "Too much power" for the front (as reported by the press) has intrigued me for many years, and i have never used an SE brake for the front.

As my spec list details, this brake is not intended to stay Long term, as i hope to have my ultimate Brake as the final solution. but i think this may take a while... :( and i can get impatient when builds drag on.

Also the wheels, after a good bank holiday weekend of riding, my fears were correct, i will certainly require new bearings for the hubs, i think its time they were replaced. Just need to find some....???

I also will be building a set of wheels using an original set of Bontrager Rolled down mavic Rims, but have decided to wait untill the correct condition bullseye hubs become available. in either BLUE and White or Black And White 36hole.

The seatpost will be replaced with a black XT with the logo present, and the saddle will be changed from the re-issue turbo shown, to either a black perforated turbo, or a Rolls titanio (vintage editions)

The bike has been with me too long for me not to get it to where i Ultimately want it to be, it means a lot to me personally, considering its origin.

Giom6":2e2zrm3a said:
As usual, you go away for a long weekend and Carl pops up with another stunner.

The attention to detail is amazing and it all just fits together superbly. The background write up is brilliant and adds a layer to the story that makes it extra special

Good work mate and as always your builds are in a class of their own :cool:

Cheers mate, the Roberts is finished but the Bontrager has a little way to go yet.

I will update with any progress... :oops:

classen":seslsyx8 said:

Chas Roberts has customers all over the world, if you ever get chance try one, it wont disappoint, im sure you will be as impressed as i was.

The Roberts below has even more paralllels to my mind.

Attachments

• Evolution.JPG
    Evolution.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • Roberts two piece wishbone.JPG
    Roberts two piece wishbone.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,166
  • Roberts Dogs Bollox the White Spiders Predecessor..JPG
    Roberts Dogs Bollox the White Spiders Predecessor..JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,162
Back