Help with forks for 99 Zaskar LE needed please

Twonks

Dirt Disciple
I've recently built up the old Zaskar and am now in much deliberation with myself about keeping it as is, replacing the frame with something more up to date, or tinkering further.

Basically the forks now on it (2006 Reba Team air U-turn, set at 85mm), are simply too heavy for the bike and make the front end feel dead.

I am pondering over what to do next, but thought I'd ask here as maybe others have had a similar dilema.

With regards to keeping it, the options are.

• Send the Rebas away for them to TF to be played with and set to 85mm. (hoping to take some weight out of them in the process)

Service and use the older Pace EVO RC36 EVOII forks. (Service by Tim @ Fork English with up to date bits)

Or, fit the RST XMO forks I also have.

Problems are, I don't like the fact that the Pace forks have no lock in tabs for the wheel. Never a problem before with Hope C2 brakes, but I don't like to think of what might happen in the future !

The RST forks (whilst good) are red and the colour simply doesn't really go. (Maybe I can get the lowers powder coated? )

I'm hoping to use the bike for XC rides, trail centres and local singletrack. It will get used as intended and certainly not molly coddled around the trails, so whatever I do needs to be safe and relatively long lasting.

Any thoughts anybody ?

A few pics.

As is...

build4.jpg

With PACE (From a good few years ago)
bikeold1-2.jpg

W
bike1-5.jpg
ith RST

I have a 98 Zaskar LE and run older Pace RC36 MXCD on it and weight wise it is bang on. I would get your Pace forks thoroughly serviced and go with them.

Latest posts

Back