Advice on new fangled standards for a build (forks and wheels)

Thanks for the advice. Frame isn't going to arrive for ages so while I have stuff to build it with as plan b, I'm going to see if I can get stuff within budget while I wait, if not I've got a plan.

What is your opinion on bontrager wheels? Duster or Mustang are some I've seen which fit within budget. There's also a set I've seen, wtb i30 on formula hubs which seem ok.

The new wtb and new rebas I can get would be just within my budget. I've got some ethirteen carbon lg cranks to use, finishing kit and brakes are sorted too, and I have 11sp cassettes to use. Only missing items would be gearing, I've got 10x xtr and x0, so not too fussed about 11x unless I pinch some xt from a bike that's too small which I was going to give to my 13 yr old (he's tall), and swap for some slx or deore.

Last edited:
Had Bonty wheels before and they’ve been “fine” nothing more. Problem with a lot of the clearance stuff is the rims are a bit narrow by modern standards. My choice would be the WTB. Hubs will be nothing sexy but very reliable. Probably be a take off from a new build that someone doesn’t want.
No experience of modern Reba they are very much built to a budget. Save for better if you can.

Your plan sounds good. “Modern” is more about geometry than components, especially drivetrain. Having ridden both a lot I’d definitely take any 11 spd over 10 speed SRAM, I always found it a bit clunky. Rob the boys bike, he’ll never appreciate XT.

Do you have or budgeted for a dropper post? Can’t have a modern build without one.

Wtb i30 wheels are decent.

Forks wise, look for some marzocchi z2s. Come as stock on some bikes in the 1k-1.5k hardtail market and seem to go for relatively modest amounts second hand, but they are great forks, fit and forget. I've got some and they really are very similar to fox34s

Bontrager wheels are sometimes hard to find what model they are but they do all sorts under the same name and model from very cheap and heavy to excellent so make sure you are buying what you think you are

Fork wise, Tom Pidcock won Olympic gold on a posh set of suntours, as long as you pick your model I think there are some good options. There is also the new Marzocchi which are just slightly older fox internals so already proven. If you shop around for last years model etc. might find some in budget
I can attest to the new marzocchi being decent. I'm running a z2 on my On One Vandal hardtail, but it was £500+ brand new. That is still Fox on a budget though, and was the best value I could find. If you find one second hand you might save a bit on the new price.

Thanks for the advice. Frame isn't going to arrive for ages so while I have stuff to build it with as plan b, I'm going to see if I can get stuff within budget while I wait, if not I've got a plan.

What is your opinion on bontrager wheels? Duster or Mustang are some I've seen which fit within budget. There's also a set I've seen, wtb i30 on formula hubs which seem ok.

The new wtb and new rebas I can get would be just within my budget. I've got some ethirteen carbon lg cranks to use, finishing kit and brakes are sorted too, and I have 11sp cassettes to use. Only missing items would be gearing, I've got 10x xtr and x0, so not too fussed about 11x unless I pinch some xt from a bike that's too small which I was going to give to my 13 yr old (he's tall), and swap for some slx or deore.
Do rebas come in a 130mm? I thought the maximum was 120mm due to their 32mm stanchion diameter. That was the reason I replaced mine with Z2s.

You are right that they come in 120mm, but 10mm on the frame is fine. I'm thinking that 32mm is not really current so aiming for 34mm up I suppose.

I have lots of stuff to sell which may extend my budget a bit, but hoping to stay close to what I should spend, especially as it's really a whimsy on getting a 'current' bike to see what they are like.

Between now and the frame arrival I've got time to shop around and hope for a bargain or two to pop up.

I built an Orange Stage Five 29" boost full suss trail bike during the first lock down, something of a dream build to replace my 2009 26" Five.
Then this year I built an On One Vandal titanium hardtail for more XC duties and I went down the modern route for that as well. To be honest, if I didn't already have the orange, I probably wouldn't build it after having the On One as the on one is so capable with the 130mm fork, boost 29" wheels, tubeless, nice long dropper post etc.
I can't see myself getting rid of either any time soon, as they are both dream builds I would regret selling.
I predict your modern experiment will be a very versatile and capable bike that will earn it's permanent place in your stable.

So I can get some boost rebas in 120mm flavour for £120, would you, or would you play the long game for something better and probably more spendy? They are the rl damper and 120mm.

Likewise with wheels, I've an offer on some bontrager maverick elite TLS, but don't know much about them so not sure whether to take a punt. They come with amberwall Vittoria tyres and xtr rotors (centre lock) so seek a good price for everything.

I've missed out on the Reba, but come across a used set of Revelations with boost spacing, 140mm travel and debonair for £170. Cosmetically they look very very good, seem to have only a tiny pin mark on the uppers. Steerer is long so shouldn't be a worry for the frame which is unknown to a degree.

When is black Friday? Will there be any bargains to be had?

Back