Curious forks. OCD strikes. Help, please.

I cannot see how they could carry loads of any weight.
To my uncultured eye the top one was for hooking/looping/hanging something on and the bottom one was some sort of resting place. Even then there would have to be some additional means of securing whatever it might have been.
Whatever they are for they were never used on any sort of regular basis because the paint surrounding them was pristine.
I may be wrong - it has been known!

th-1220359486.jpg

French Wonder Brassard* - arm band light. Front and rear is together, rather clever. My father used to ride with one umpteen years ago. They were marketed to cyclists and walkers. They are inspired from old lanterns used by railway workers.

iu
iu

Can't see why it couldn't be strapped to a right fork blade if needs be; in fact if it was to be strapped to a bike anywhere it would be the logical place on a more vertical position traffic side (for the UK). The measurements seem to correspond too. Please please please tell me I've won this retrobike guessing game and you will leave a bottle of Pernod at the Inn ;)

* not a Wonder Bra, that's something entirely different :LOL:

If it was strapped to a fork then it wouldn't be very visible to the rear; maybe the idea was to use two lights, one front one rear.
But there is no locating pin to fit inside the lug or other means of preventing the lamp from slipping down the fork leg. What would the top pip be used for?
Sorry, you haven't won but I'm more than happy to share the contents of a bottle of Pernod, or a Wonder Bra, with you!

French Wonder Brassard* - arm band light. Front and rear is together, rather clever. My father used to ride with one umpteen years ago. They were marketed to cyclists and walkers. They are inspired from old lanterns used by railway workers.

iu
iu

Can't see why it couldn't be strapped to a right fork blade if needs be; in fact if it was to be strapped to a bike anywhere it would be the logical place on a more vertical position traffic side (for the UK). The measurements seem to correspond too. Please please please tell me I've won this retrobike guessing game and you will leave a bottle of Pernod at the Inn ;)

* not a Wonder Bra, that's something entirely different :LOL:
WOW, tunnelling back to Christmas 1977 or thereabouts, I was given one!

@hamster - that's actually pretty cool you put a date to this "belle objet". I have vague memories (what with me being a spring chicken * COUGH *) doing my evening paper round with one when the Never Ready lamps didn't work. Had the speech that it's better than nothing.

@Sir Neil d'Menture - odd that I remember more vividly the Wonder Bra adverts :D

Back