Advice on new fangled standards for a build (forks and wheels)

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got a pre-order 29er on the way, not anything too exotic and expensive, a zesty lime jack flash 29er.

I'm hoping to buy the bits I need before it arrives so I can throw it together and use asap. It's going to be my first truly current frame, it has boost rear spacing so I'm looking at buying some boost forks and wheels as I've nothing as it stands.

I'm looking for advice on decent 130mm boost forks and wheels to suit. I'm well versed with rebas, Sid's and revs, as I've got various that I look after already, but as I'm looking to build the bike up on a budget, I should widen the net a bit as I'm not up to speed on what's good and what's not currently. I would usually have bile rising at the thought of a suntour fork for example, but see good reviews on their better modern stuff. Brands like dvo are new to me too. I did mention on a budget so dvo are probably out. I'm probably looking at keeping the fork and wheel (tyres too) at under £400, ideally under £300 but I'm unlikely to get anything at the quality level I'm hoping for unless an absolute bargain arises.

I'm thinking of going 12x for the first time, 11x is as far as I've gone. For gearing what is a decent enough 12x set up? SRAM GX and nx seems cheap enough but I've had some gx pass through my hands and if I'm honest, it didn't smack of quality.

So to summarise, I'm after help with identifying forks, wheels and gearing to throw at my build, but what's good, good value or what should I really avoid? I've not even considered some of the stuff I see on AliExpress such as sensah stuff, I could be being unfair but the buy cheap, buy twice mantra jumps out, but I could be wrong.

I'm good for braking thought at least, while not truly current, hope evos are imho a very good brake and I have a spare set waiting, though also have some FSA k force brakes I bought recently which seemed to get good reviews, but I'm really not familiar with them as a brake provider.

Last edited:
Fork wise, Tom Pidcock won Olympic gold on a posh set of suntours, as long as you pick your model I think there are some good options. There is also the new Marzocchi which are just slightly older fox internals so already proven. If you shop around for last years model etc. might find some in budget

Save your money and use the non boost fork and wheel you have. You will get nothing worth having for £300-400. All boost does is give you tyre clearance to run much wider tyre (ie 2.6-2.8 and a debatable increase in wheel strength/stiffness. Don’t get me wrong, new forks will be a step up performance wise from what you have but not until you reach much higher price levels. Entry level forks will all be using much less sophisticated dampers. You can always save for a better one as you sell off those Ti frames 😜

GX is perfectly good. Have had a few sets and it’s never missed a beat. I’d avoid NX. Only NX I use is cassettes on a couple of bikes as it fits standard Shimano freewheel and doesn’t need XD driver. Cheaper than GX but much heavier and doesn’t wear as well.

How hilly are your rides? May well be worth sticking with 11 spd unless you really need a crawler gear. 11spd XT can be had with a 11-46t cassette which is enough for most things. Only reason I changed my remaining 11 spd bike to 12, was to rationalise my spares.

Thanks, I'm aiming at used rather than new forks and wheels so hoping to find something ok for the budget I've set. I've seen Rebas new at £250 ish and an ok set of wtb boost wheels at £150, which is top end of budget, but new so it should be possible to reduce that with used but equivalent stuff. Frame is boost spec so would be odd to run an boost our back and not up front though I could do this with stuff I already have.

12sp was a whimsy, I don't need it and don't have anything so would need to be bought, adding more expense. I might have something 11sp but plenty of 10x which is fine for me in terms of gearing requirements.

Honestly you’d never know the difference.

Used forks are a gamble. My mate got £250 for his Fox 34. Looked good from the outside but hadn’t been serviced in 6 years, not even an foam ring lube. He said they worked fine but god knows what they looked like inside.

You may well get a well looked after set, but the cheaper the fork was initially the less likely they are to have ever been serviced. If you’re on Instagram, have a look at Sprung suspension or some of the other tuners. There are always vids of destroyed forks on them.

If you can find new parts in budget, then great but forks are the one place I’d always spend a bit more on as they really alter how a bike feels. This may sound a bit preachy but I think you are just overthinking the boost part.

The boost rear frame spacing will be an issue for the wheels I have I'd expect, and rotor alignment. I'm all for spending less if I can overcome that in a good way.

I'm ok at for servicing so that's not a huge issue for me, though judging the internal condition is a challenge with used forks for sure.

The boost rear frame spacing will be an issue for the wheels I have I'd expect, and rotor alignment. I'm all for spending less if I can overcome that in a good way.

Depends on the hubs but lots of companies do a boost conversion kit, with different spacers and a rotor shim. Usually also needs a re-dish but not always. Can be a cheap way of using older wheels.

What parts do you have to choose from?

Fork wise I will probably swap over the black revs from my ti 29er as they are all black and suit the build I have in mind, as I've got a set of white rebas which are mint and I did have on it originally.

Wheels I have are new FSA non series (whatever that really means) wheels with various adapters in the box, but I don't think a boost one. As far as I can work out, they are practically the same as the afterburner wheels. I bought them a couple of years ago as they were on sale reduced from £450 so not too shabby.

The build plan was to try and get a current bike built, though I do hear you about whether boost makes much difference really.

I understand wanting the latest stuff but not going to happen on a budget. Save money for where it’s going to matter. If you find a nice new fork at a decent price you can always upgrade in the future.

For the rear wheels use the 142mm end caps that came in the box then add one of these.

There will be loose spacers on the axle that will need care when fitting and removing wheel but will work fine. Can get a similar conversion for the front wheel.

Whatever you do, don’t skimp on tyres. Good compound aftermarket tyres are so much better than Planet X OEM specials.

Back