Project No.8.5: alpinestars cro-mega LX ‘Wildthing’ FINISHED

Final Paint

Well say goodbye to hours of painstaking freehand painting with a small brush stolen from a Tamiya model kit, and say hello to hours, days and weeks of fine lacquer layers.

The final colour is on and its looking amazing, really pleased i've gone with this design. As you'll set from the pictures i've also prepped the frame ready for lacquer.

2011_0109astars0006.jpg

The gloss black completes the 5 colour pattern.

2011_0109astars0008.jpg

2011_0109astars0010.jpg

2011_0109astars0014.jpg

Quick recap

Its been a slow process with many hours spent in front of the heater hand painting this beast, this is how its developed in five photo's.

2011_0102astars0014.jpg

2011_0102astars0016.jpg

2011_0104astars0006.jpg

2011_0105astars0010.jpg

2011_0109astars0006.jpg

I've already had a trail with the lacquer on the forks and after applying a liberal amount I experienced the coloured paint running a tad. Thus i'm rubbing those back and repainting. I discovered that if I just build up the lacquer in very fine layers 'dusting' over the paint it doesn't run, so i guess the lacquering process may take a good while.

Amazing job, wish I had your patience!

Have enough trouble finding time to ride... :roll:

Very impressive as always, setting the standard :cool:

I started following this thread thinking I wouldn't like the end result (I wasn't a huge fan of the Alpinestars Wild Thing design back then)...but I LOVE IT!
You're doing a stunning job on your frame and I cannot wait to see it resolved.
Great job. :D

elPedro666":3per2bhg said:
Amazing job, wish I had your patience!

Have enough trouble finding time to ride... :roll:

Very impressive as always, setting the standard :cool:

I'll second that - certainly raises the mark every time...

(no pun intended...)

thats a grand job, ive watched with eager interest, the process took me back to me refinishing my explosif and cindercone, so i can really appreciate the length of time involved....the biggest compliment i can find.........you are the Banksy of bike frames....!!!! (big compliment) :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks chaps the frame and forks are now waiting on decals. I've sent Gil proofs, but I expect it will take him a while to convert them into a format he can print from.

In the meantime i've been restoring the groupset and control. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Very impressive and very inspiring Mark. Looking forward to seeing it out on the trails. :cool:

Back