Zaskar archaeology

@Swede tell me more about Griff

@Swede tell me more about Griff
Griff passed away a few years ago but his name is still used; http://www.realitymotorworks.co.uk/

Can't remember the new owners name (I'll get back to you on that) but he knows his stuff and as well as motorbikes he does quite a lot of push bikes as well. There were a few Klein's being blasted for Jon Rock, boxes and boxes of Starling Cycles MurMurs(?), a number of racks and frames from Pye at Clandestine plus some other odds and ends but it's a bit of a warren.

We spend quite a bit of time talking about the post blasting, dichromate treatment that's required for magnesium and the options thereafter.

Picked up the fork legs from Griff's yesterday and considering what condition they were in to start with, I'm pretty pleased. There's nothing to be done about the corrosion pitting as they're powered coated but the colour match isn't too bad (just a little dark/dirty). IMG_6203.jpg IMG_6204.jpg IMG_6206.jpg

Last edited:
Decals arrived this morning so I’ll (finally) be able to start putting it all back together. These ones are laminated, so no need for a topcoat - if I’d known that was an option a few weeks ago I’d have got that type for the frame as well:rolleyes:. I’ll guess we’ll see how they get on over the winter but they might need changing. 986C662D-35BE-41BF-8680-A54CAACD498E.jpeg

Decals are now on but I don't have any 15W oil, so I can't finish the fork. I did however put it on the frame, only to discover that the ID of the steerer tube is smaller than the top cap of the new(ish)/plastic Aheadset. Using a Workmate, a ratchet strap and an electric drill, I fashioned a “lathe” and turned down the OD so that it now fits:).

Drive train and back end are pretty much done but other than the oil I still need some brake cables - these were ordered weeks ago but still haven't arrived. Shouldn't be too long now but I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out. IMG_6293.jpg IMG_6291.jpg IMG_6294.jpg

Last edited:
This is very nice, would probably want some higher spec parts but there’s nothing wrong with some blue lx

What size is it? Like I need more bikes, going to pick up another one next week probably…

Latest posts

Back