Zaskar archaeology

After the chain snapping episode both the cassette and chain were replaced. Not sure why Sram was used but I'm guessing it works ok? Any advise/experience?

It's a heavy old lump but I've no idea if a CS-HG70-9 is any lighter but for now I just plan to replace the chain. IMG_5562.JPEG

It's not critical but it was missing a copper/bronze shim washer - if you have one spare, please let me know. IMG_5570.JPEG

Last edited:
After spending £217 on this and still needing a headset and to sort the fork, I had a discussion with my brother-in-law about the options i.e. i. replacement modern, ii. replacement retro or iii. refurb the existing and the decision was to go all in a restore the SID. :cool:

I pumped it up this morning and it held the pressure no problem, so after stripping it down I peeled the decals off and most of the paint came off as well! This will have to be powder coated as it's far more durable than a rattle can job but at £85; that's quite an investment...

IMG_5579.JPEG IMG_5580.JPEG

Last edited:
Nice :cool: . I think the decals will make a big difference.

Weirdly my build is (I think) going to look quite similar to yours - just slightly less high end! Picked up this bar and stem from Adrian last week and that was before I saw yours; honest... IMG_5587.jpeg

Dropped the fork legs off at Griff's earlier this week and unsurprisingly I was there for a while. For those of you who haven't visited he does work for Jon Rock, Starling Cycles & Clandestine to name a few, so it was a bit of a pilgrimage.

I’d read that RAL 5015 was a close match to the RockShox blue but looking at the colour cards we thought that 5017 was better but even that isn’t an exact match (the digital card below is crap!). I’ve kept a large flake of the original paint to make a comparison but that’s not going to be until September, so you’re going to have to sit tight I’m afraid! ral-5017-vs-5015.png

Back