Would site owners ever consider reform the categories?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I was looking at old posts here and the website dates back to 2005. I’m a relative newcomer.
1997 was but 8 years previous and now a much longer time has elapsed since the formation of this website compared to 97 to 05.
Now bikes from 2000 are advertised as ‘Retro’.
Would admins and site owners ever consider a reformation of what constitutes retro? Considering the 18 years elapsed since the site was inaugurated?
Seems unfair to place 98 bikes similar to those from 96 and 97 in the same category as 27ers and 29ers and other modern behemoths.
Or even have a different section for 26” bikes post 1998 up to say mid to late 2000’s when bike geometry and suspension changed radically ?
Any thoughts ?

Some light reading before you get any more helpful responses:

That is by no means exhaustive 😅 just the first five I found. If I had a pound for every time .......

A wise man once said :

1997 is the year when V-brakes became common and when suspension actually started to work properly.
It also marks the end of the era where manufacturers were playing with radical frame designs (apart from stuff like the Whyte PRST).

IMO that's enough to justify a fixed cut-off point.

I still stand behind those words. 1997-1998 was a real transitional period, hence the cutoff. We had another one about 10 years later, when discs and hollowtech became mainstream. But in all fairness splitting into 3 eras would make the main page even longer.

😃 Clearly I have not thought this through properly. But as someone stuck in the V brake era it's really hard work delving into the post 97 bucket for something that has canti / V brake mounts - it's a really big bucket

Can anyone pinpoint when frame designs changed into how they are now? As say, a 2000 Raleigh RSP Ti is pretty much the same as a 1997. But it’ll be classed, on this forum, with a modern 29er.

I get your point ibbz. But I can't see it getting much support on here as the long serving members have had to put up with a massive change recently with the new site and layout already. People don't like change- well, some don't.
I agree with you though, somewhere nearer 99-2000 would make more sense nowadays. But a non starter. If a new site was to be created then 2000 would be the ideal cut off point nowadays.

Last edited:
Back