BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
After another project landed today I was pondering my current collection, over a cup of green tea, and started thinking about the reasons for buying each bike I have (and wanting the ones I still don’t have). I’m wondering what the most common reason would be so play along and let’s see what tops the poll. Feel free to mention the bike(s), in the comments, and to suggest other reasons for wanting them, and I’ll add them to the list of options. Just to clarify, this is the reason you want/wanted the bike in recent times, not why you wanted it back in the day.
I guess everyone could pick at least a couple of options, maybe for the same bike or maybe different bikes so I’ll be generous and give three votes each

Looking through my current bikes and thinking about the ones I still want the pretty much all fall into the “wanted but couldn’t afford” and “wanted but weren’t available” categories, with some ticking both boxes.
The higher end Kona’s I couldn’t afford, the Brodies, Rockys and Toads I also couldn’t afford but were also hard to find without importing them.
The Bromwich I’m still searching for, because I used to own one back in the day.

Last edited:
My first 'retrobike' I guess was a manitou FS, years after I saw one in mbuk I wanted one, I could afford one and I was lucky enough to pick one up locally, so I guess nostalgia was my early reasoning, now thanks to the education of retrobike, I have developed a fondness for handbuilt steel that were off my radar back in the day and feel fueled to collect and refurb the more boutique British steel.

I guess I want that bike because I like the look of it, like art and it's historical interest that needs saving for future retrobikers.

My first 'retrobike' I guess was a manitou FS, years after I saw one in mbuk I wanted one, I could afford one and I was lucky enough to pick one up locally, so I guess nostalgia was my early reasoning, now thanks to the education of retrobike, I have developed a fondness for handbuilt steel that were off my radar back in the day and feel fueled to collect and refurb the more boutique British steel.

I guess I want that bike because I like the look of it, like art and it's historical interest that needs saving for future retrobikers.

And you have a wonderful collection mate

I always lusted after bikes I'd have never been able to afford (as I think we all did, us mere peasants anyway lol) I always loved the late 90's Konas in my local shop, alongside the Marins, which sat under the pedestal that the mighty Pace adorned, I've scratched the Kona itch and had a couple of marins, but never a pace as I still can't flippin well afford one (that and longy has them all 🤣) but maybe one day!

And I do find with some I just really like the look of and would love to own just to have in my collection eventually!

As for the always wanted one because (insert name) rode one, I've got that with my specialized m2 JMC replica, always wanted one of them because they look cool and Jason was like a rock star on that bike, to me at the age of 14 😍

Last edited:
I always lusted after bikes I'd have never been able to afford (as I think we all did, us mere peasants anyway lol) I always loved the late 90's Konas in my local shop, alongside the Marins, which say under the pedestal that the mighty Pace adorned, I've scratched the Kona itch and had a couple of marins, but never a pace as I still can't flippin well afford one (that and longy has them all 🤣) but maybe one day!

And I do find with some I just really like the look of and would love to own just to have in my collection eventually!

As for the always wanted one because (insert name) rode one, I've got that with my specialized m2 JMC replica, always wanted one of them because they look cool and Jason was like a rock star on that bike, to me at the age of 14 😍

Yes, your lovely JMC replica definitely ticks a box! The Pace is the itch I'd like to scratch one day too. I'm not fussy, but it has to be an RC100 :LOL:

For me it (mountain biking) back in the day was sort of the wrong time, always something I wanted to do but other stuff just got in the way.
Early 80’s in my teens I was racing XC on a 5sp road bike with a flip/flop fixed hub for grass track racing. I stopped this around 1985 (when I was 17) as a moped (Yamaha Fizzi) then cars/girls took precedent. Built a half descent road bike for my college years but then after that it was career/home ownership/marriage/kids bla bla that stopped me buying those glorious looking machines throughout the 90’s.
been trying to make up for it now though! 😁

Back