Lightest 26” bike parts? V brakes? 3x9?

You can lose up to a pound having a shite and about half a pound having a piss, that could potentially be a pound and a half off your bike weight. How about wearing a thick jumper? That may set you back at least 1.7 pounds if you're a big fella. Like get a grip, weight never mattered. Unless you're a leg shaving lycra clad up and coming rider it probably matters about as much as wearing kneeguards on a parachute free skydive
Could lose an ounce having a wank before hand and emptying the old nutsack

But I like light bikes - can actually ride them up hill - and carry em if too un fit - or over tough bogs where the tractor bike will get stuck - or lift over fences and gates - and part of the fun is being a weight weenie pedant 😂

Last edited:
I'm 9kg overweight (5'10 88kg). That's the weight of 13.353115727 XTR M952 chainsets.

Need to talk to Rasmussen or maybe Freelee the banana girl.

61lw30f+UVL.jpg

I'm 9kg overweight (5'10 88kg). That's the weight of 13.353115727 XTR M952 chainsets.

Need to talk to Rasmussen or maybe Freelee the banana girl.

61lw30f+UVL.jpg
My god Freelee. Remember when she used to make videos with that absolute creep Durianrider

the banana girl.
Body like Baywatch, face like Crime Watch.

Anyhow, I too have been doing some deep digging in to mid 90's unobtainium anodized parts Ti this, Magnesium that... blah blah blah. A few enlightening realizations:

--Race Face Next LP cranks (with rings) are very light and still "cheap". You can go with Grafton Speedstix, Sims, Top Line or TNT, but then you're paying 3x to 5x the price to save 30 to 60 grams.

--The XTR m950 front derailleur was pretty much the industry standard (starting with the m900). Dollars to weight, they are a bargain. Get the XT variant to save a few grams. All in all 118 to 122 grams. Or get a Paul for $500 plus and save maybe 2 grams.

--The XTR m950 rear derailleur, all be it is a bit of a pig at 220 grams. You can then "tune" it by replacing all the bolts with titanium, and the jockey wheels and get sub-200 grams. There are sellers on ebay selling Grade 5 titanium bolts for 8x cheaper than what SRP sells bolts for. Or depending on your cassette setup, you can use a Dura Ace rear derailleur and save another 30 grams off the regular XTR weight.

---The XTR and XT cassettes are fat pigs. Alternatively, the Dura Ace is light. Alternatively alternatively...there are full titanium cassettes out there and the prices are 'reasonable' compared to what people are paying on eBay for a NOS XTR m950 cassette.

Overall there are good suggestions in this thread and you can reach your build (or general idea/feel) if your patient.

Back