New bike recommendations wanted

I’m still thinking steel frame. It’s the one thing I’d like to hold out for, for no other reason than that’s what I fancy! I appreciate that’ll greatly narrow down the options, but that doesn’t need to be a bad thing right?

Totally agree. To me bikes are about how they make you feel, as well as how they ride.
Looking at your preferences I still come back to my original suggestion, Cotic Flaremax.

Totally understand your preference for a steel frame. I´d also think that a Flaremax could be a good choice, but that really depends on what you´re planning to ride. I bought the Superlight thinking it was enough coming from fully rigid bikes. In hindsight maybe I should have bought a Heckler (and then contemplating if I should have gotten the Superlight :LOL:).

I don´t know how far it would be for you, but Cotic always have a few demo bikes at their factory. I´d totally go there to spend a weekend checking things out if it was feasible.

Alrighty, I’ll put a Flaremax on the list to consider :)

I love looking at old bikes, they are far more interesting than the new stuff…but and it’s a huge but…they ride like crap compared to new stuff. Yes it is getting stupid the price of new bikes, and I wouldn’t go too slack on head angle of a new bike but generally the difference is night and day👍

And regarding TREK, I’ve read a lot with people saying they are boring etc etc. They ride so well it’s really hard to criticise them. Give me a TREK over an orange any day.

Not going to be popular this but orange were good once for a 3 year window 89-91 ish but since then…🫤

I love looking at old bikes, they are far more interesting than the new stuff…

I don't know, there's lot of interesting new stuff. The Atherton's are basically building a modern C26, Dangerholm is doing crazy lightweight custom stuff and Neko Mullaly is doing all sorts of experiments with his Frameworks DH bike. There were a few years where it looked like bikes were getting very similar but lots of companies bringing out high pivot bikes and other different suspension systems.

And regarding TREK, I’ve read a lot with people saying they are boring etc etc. They ride so well it’s really hard to criticise them.

Yeah, but you feel like there's just no passion there (said by someone who's had three of them). You are correct, they ride well and do everything you need but for me they just don't sparkle. I feel the same about Merida. I have one and do most of my local mileage on it, but at the end of a ride, I just put it away without caring about it. My custom steel hardtail on the other hand, is more conservative geometry, probably less capable but fills my heart with joy.

Yeah, but you feel like there's just no passion there (said by someone who's had three of them). You are correct, they ride well and do everything you need but for me they just don't sparkle. I feel the same about Merida. I have one and do most of my local mileage on it, but at the end of a ride, I just put it away without caring about it. My custom steel hardtail on the other hand, is more conservative geometry, probably less capable but fills my heart with joy.
This resonates with me. I'm sure I could buy a Trek and be really happy with the way it rides but I want something I can get off, prop against a hedge and take a couple of pics of, whilst thinking how much I love it (without compromising ride quality of course) :LOL:

Back